3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Tipm

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM
jnl230
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was promised that my dealer would have the part on 8/27, and even was told on 8/23 that the part was in the process of being distributed. Of course that was all lies, more than likely someone with some action by some government agency got the part and my car continues to sit. Now I am being told 9/15 and that they have 600 parts on order, with 800 units back ordered I hold out little hope. Meeting with an attorney today who deals with this type of issue. Sadly Chrysler seems to be completely disinterested in getting my car back on the road.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM
mikeroy2k
Default add my car to the list

I just got a call from the dealership today stating that my car has a bad TIPM and that it is on National back order for at least three weeks. I was curious as to what city and state you are in if you don't mind sharing because maybe I could contact your attorney as well. Maybe it's time for a class action. Sounds like a lot of people are having their units replaced multiple times and 3 weeks without my car is ridiculous.

I'm in Austin, Texas.

just wanted to add some background:

I was having troubles with the auto start. read about a service bulletin that fixes the issue with a flash reprogram however the dealership and Chrysler said that my VIN number were not affected by the issue. Then five days ago there was a fan type noise from the rear bottom of the vehicle. the fan noise stayed on all night and drained my battery. I jump started the car and it held a charge and ran fine but the fan noise never stopped. I'm being told that the fan noise is the ABS staying on because the TIPM is bad.

The dealership also states that battery is bad and they want $270 for a new battery when the battery was fine when I took it in. The service bulletin is below:
NUMBER: 08-024-11 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 01, 2011

SUBJECT:
Flash: Intermittent No Start Or Intermittent RKE Function
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) with new
software.
NUMBER: 08-024-11 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 01, 2011
MODELS:
**2011 (DD) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis**
**2011 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup**
**2011 (DP) Ram 4500 / 5500 Cab Chassis**
2011 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
**2011 (DX) Reg Cab Chassis (Mexico)**
2011 (LC) Challenger
2011 (RT) Caravan / Town & Country
2011 (W2) Grand Cherokee (CKD)
2011 (WD) Durango
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to **DD, DJ, DP, DS, DX** vehicles built before April 7,
2011 (MDH 0407XX) equipped with Remote Keyless Entry (Sales Code GXM).
NOTE: This bulletin applies to LC, W2, WD, WK vehicles built before April 7, 2011
(MDH 0407XX).
NOTE: This bulletin applies to RT vehicles built before April 12, 2011 (MDH 0412XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The service flash corrects the following conditions:
· Intermittent no start
· Intermittent RKE function
The above conditions may be caused by a software lockup in the module. The lockup
condition may be cleared by removing and reinserting fuse M27.
Flash reprogramming the WIN will correct these conditions.

Attached Images  

Last edited by mikeroy2k; 09-24-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add notes.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
mikeroy2k
Default File a complaint

Everyone who is having issues with there TIPM should file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation. Chrysler released a service bulletin but states that our cars don't apply. All the cars with the TIPM problem are experiencing similar issues to those in the service bulletin and there are over 800+ parts on back order.

It's about time Chrysler took ownership of this issue and if the word can be spread to file a complaint maybe the US DOT will investigate the issue. you can file your complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by mikeroy2k
Everyone who is having issues with there TIPM should file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation. Chrysler released a service bulletin but states that our cars don't apply. All the cars with the TIPM problem are experiencing similar issues to those in the service bulletin and there are over 800+ parts on back order.

It's about time Chrysler took ownership of this issue and if the word can be spread to file a complaint maybe the US DOT will investigate the issue. you can file your complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

What's the service bulletin # you're referring to?

The URL you posted is for logging safety complaints. Not sure you can really call TIPM failure a safety issue since they become much safer when parked at the dealer. I suppose it could be a brief safety concern if it failed at speed, but that's a stretch. I agree it sucks that they can't fix the problem and can't ramp up production of the part so they are stocked. I'm going to have to sell it before my extended warranty runs out.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM
BCC171

Originally Posted by bbtkd
What's the service bulletin # you're referring to?

The URL you posted is for logging safety complaints. Not sure you can really call TIPM failure a safety issue since they become much safer when parked at the dealer. I suppose it could be a brief safety concern if it failed at speed, but that's a stretch. I agree it sucks that they can't fix the problem and can't ramp up production of the part so they are stocked. I'm going to have to sell it before my extended warranty runs out.
My Durango R/T died while I was accelerating to merge on the Highway. I think that qualifies as a safety complaint. I was told just today that my TIPM is bad and that is what's causing my engine to shut down for no apparent reason. I was told it won't be in until October 24th. I have my Durango because they said they couldn't approve paying for a rental vehicle for 30 days. However, I'm worried about driving in certain situations for fear it may die on me again whil accelerating. I'd say on average it dies 3 times per week with no rhyme or reason. I might log that complaint. I don't know what else to do. I also might go out and buy a new Ford Explorer Sport and be done with the D.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM
jnl230

I waited 5 weeks for my TIPM, while my car sat at the dealership. The dealer was awesome to deal with, they kept me informed and provided me a loaner car during the 5 week period. The TIPM that was installed was also defective although it did allow me to drive my car with some minor features not working. My replacement TIPM for my replacement TIPM is in and will be installed on Friday. Chrysler obviously has an issue with the part and should step you and support the customers who have already purchased their cars and at the same time do a better job supporting their delaers instead of hanging them on to dry.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

Well mine just got back out of the shop for the 4th time for this issue. This time they did the WINS TSb and mine is a 2013. This is my last time in if it is not fixed I am having it taken back or getting legal action. I bought it 12/31/12 and it has been in and also STAR tech and 2 different cases opened up with Dodge.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
phengmeister

No major TIPM issue for me so far (fingers crossed) but I've already made up my mind that this will be my first and last Dodge vehicle purchase!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
cathinthesun
Default 2012 Durango TIPM failure

We have been having issues with starting our car for the last 8 months. Finally, it stopped starting. We thought it was the battery and put in a new battery. We live in AZ, batteries need to be replaced more often here due to the climate. Two weeks later, the car won't start and then just dies. We bring it in and the dealership said it was a loose cable. Bizarre but OK. Now 10 days later, the car is having lots of trouble starting again. We brought it in again and this time they said it was a bad TIPM. It's currently on order but can take up to 1 and 1/2 weeks to get! I didn't believe them until I read postings from this forum. I hope Dodge has found a new supplier for this part since it seems like it's always back ordered. Any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
mikeroy2k

Sorry to here about your issue cathinthesun but no there is nothing you can do. Complain to your dealer and ask them get you into a rental. It's a very crappy situation. The part is currently on indefinite back order. Could be up to 3 months they said.

Quick Reply: Tipm