3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Want a '14? Don't Get the V6.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Immo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned SRTs with the 5 speed (a 06 Charger and a 10 Jeep) spanning over 7 years, over 100k miles between the two and I wouldn't call it clunky. It did leave a lot to be desired though and I can't wait to take delivery of my 14 Durango.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Yep, progress progress. Anyone lucky enough to get a 14 should be pleasantly surprised. For what it's worth, my 13 RT runs and drives like a champ and when my warrantee runs out and I install a SC i will run it directly to my tranny guy and have my 6 speed built to the Hilt. The cost to build the 8 speed to the same specs it uses in the high HP applications to handle power I.e titanium gears, custom valve bodies, enlarges clutch packs and the sort would pay for another supercharger kit. Congrats to those who get the 8 but again I'll keep my 6 for my future mods.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Immo
Professional

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
LMFAO...what the heck does her job title have to do with her driving habits? Diddly squat, that's what. That is seriously one of the dumbest straw man arguments I've ever heard. SMH
I would have to agree... My VP of Sales drives an S8 and the President has an Aston Martin Rapide and a 911. Both of them push their cars to the limits....

Most exes I know of multi billion dollar companies are type a and most had a lead foot.

Last edited by Immo; 09-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Scottina11heat
All Star

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
LMFAO...what the heck does her job title have to do with her driving habits? Diddly squat, that's what. That is seriously one of the dumbest straw man arguments I've ever heard. SMH

My point was she is a professional adult......there really are some punks on this site. keyboard badasses.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
oh...and my Durango was not "beat on" It was my wifes daily driver...commuter about 80 miles per day. She's the Vice pres. of the region for her company.....so she doesn't beat on her vehicles. We had almost 2 years and 28k miles of experience to report with this Durango. The tranny was clunky....that's a fact. It was pretty similar in my 13' SRT Jeep with the SAME tranny. I have owned 2...TWO vehicles with the Merc 5 speed.
You won it in a contest anyway so not much lost by you overall!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
The public, press and more applaud Jeep/dodge for the new ZF trannies. hye
Motor Trend's 300S Long Term Update @ 15k miles (Oct '13):

"I also take some issue with the transmission. In regular mode, it needs a little too much time to kick down after the throttle is given a good stab. Switching to Sport mode considerably increases responsiveness, but the trade-off is overly aggressive throttle tip-in."

Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Evolution. Give engineers some time and they'll get the programming perfect for these 8 speeds. My 2010 Ford F-150 had the 6 speed which was known for for clunkiness and sluggish behavior. Re-flashing fixed most of that. The rest was cured by aggressive break-in procedures.

Kudos to the 8 speed........

Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Crew Member
Professional

I agree that's likely, never said it wasn't. But there is a possibility of early production hardware issues that will linger forever in the first model year cars. There are some examples of that in the past. Like my Focus' DCT. Some have claimed theirs worked perfect from the beginning, others like me had trouble that was mostly corrected by replacement of faulty hardware, still others have had repairs ( with an updated clutch pack design) that improved but didn't eliminate their troubles, and then there's those whose dealers won't give them the time of day and hate their cars. Transmissions can be tricky...