3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango vs. Journey - That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM
huskerfan4lyf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango vs. Journey - That is the Question.

Please forgive if already asked and answered (I looked over the forum and found nothing, so feel pretty safe).

Family's looking to replace our tired Sienna minivan. Really like the Durango, but wife came across the Journey and started asking, "Why not? It's $10,000 less, etc." (Stats: would be wife's car, we're a family of 4 but both kids in high school and in two yrs will be off to college, mostly city driving in-and-around north Dallas.)

So, what say you? Dependability? Reliability? Build quality?

Thanks, all!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Trace3rd
Professional

Very simple answer, do you need/want a V8 or do any towing? if not then Journey is the way to go. Same V6, same # of seats, more storage options, weighs less, gets better gas mileage, and is cheaper like she said. Plus, you should check on isurance rates, ill bet the Journey is cheaper to insure also.

But the Durango is way better looking IMO!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
adbutz
Rookie

I have no opinion on the Journey, but I can say the 2012 Durango RT has been the worst vehicle purchase I have ever made. Sadly, I would rather drive my 2003 Pontiac Montana than my Durango.

Issues I have had in first 20000kms

Steering wheel wobble(still ongoing)
Vehicle pulled to the right(fixed a year after)
Clunk from the rear end(still on going)
Numerous creaks and rattles(seats, doors and roof liners) from day one(still on going)
Power seat memory not functioing(hit and miss)
Slight pop/surge(sensation of something catching than releasing) from rear end when proceeding from stop(ongoing).
Gas guzzler(my own fault as I knew this going into purchase).
Paint flaking off on the rear bumper (used touch up paint)
Pieces of metal fell into the paint during the painting process(fixed)
Radio has a tendancy to freeze or not link with Ipod(ongoing)
Clunk when shifting into gear(fixed)
Moulding which is located underneath wipers and covering windshield warped and had to be replaced(fixed)
Hestiates to shift on occassions(ongoing).

At this point I am just waiting for my TIPM to go as it seems this is a problem that appears to be growing as well.

Now that I have bashed the Durango here are the things I do like

Looks and Style
Hemi Power
Comfort and Space
Exhaust tone on the R/T is fine by me
Durango RT handles like my Charger RT
Seemed ok in winter even with the Kuhmo tires

I am just waiting to come even on my loan so I can trade or sell this vehicle. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are lots of people out there that will defend the Durango

Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Equip the two vehicles the same and the price difference drops - more like $6k to $7k.

Fuel economy is not much different: 17/25 Journey and 16/23 Durango.

I haven't drivern the Journey but given its lineage I'd bet it rides worse than the Durango, which is related to the Mercedes ML CUV.

Durango is significantly larger. 40% more passenger volume. 8 inches longer, 4 inches wider, 5 inches higher.

If you want to have a moderately smaller monthly payment for much less space, only you can answer that!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Another thing to consider is durability. I have to suspect that the Journey has about the durability of a Caravan. Having owned three Caravans followed by two Durangos, I can verify that the Durango is much more durable than a Caravan (and then probably a Journey). My 2005 Durango went 104k miles before I had to do the rear brakes, and 145k on the front brakes. On the Caravans I would typically have the brakes fail every 30k miles - often traumatically and while on vacation - with no towing. Also, had to frequently replace sway bar bushings and other front suspension components - again with no towing or off-road, while I never had to do anything to my 2005 Durango in 170k miles. Lastly - I went through a lot of transmissions in the Caravans and in one Caravan had it fail at 16k miles, then again at 70k. Another Caravan tranny failed at 31k. No such problems on my 2005 Durango. My 2012 has 28k miles and no real issues. If you do get a Durango, get a 2014 because some of the issues with earlier ones will have been fixed.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

It seemed pretty well built when we test drove it, but it was definitly light duty, and drove like other front wheele drive crossovers we tested.
Some things you will get with the Journey, that arent offered in our Durangos for some reason:

-sliding and reclining second-row seat
-built-in child booster
-containers that double as coolers
-hidden compartment under the front passenger seat cushion

Edmunds says:
"In 2011 it got a completely redesigned interior with better materials, tighter construction and a smarter control layout. The improvements in ride quality and steering feel made the Journey more competitive with the top-ranked crossovers in this class."

These are the things we liked about it, before we came across its tow rating and marked it off our list.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Trace3rd
It seemed pretty well built when we test drove it, but it was definitly light duty, and drove like other front wheele drive crossovers we tested.
Some things you will get with the Journey, that arent offered in our Durangos for some reason:

-sliding and reclining second-row seat
-built-in child booster
-containers that double as coolers
-hidden compartment under the front passenger seat cushion
The Durango's second row does recline.

One highly practical feature you can't seem to get on the Journey is the power liftgate. Never cared much about it before but now that I have it I'll never go back.

Edmunds says:
"In 2011 it got a completely redesigned interior with better materials, tighter construction and a smarter control layout. The improvements in ride quality and steering feel made the Journey more competitive with the top-ranked crossovers in this class."
Consumer Reports said "Despite the new engine and updated interior appointments, the Journey is still mediocre overall. The Journey was a mediocre performer when we last tested it in 2008, and a new engine and interior appointments haven't helped much. It rides well and is quiet, but that's about all."

Meanwhile the Durango is pretty much universally complemented by the auto press.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

Originally Posted by Crew Member
The Durango's second row does recline.

And this is why the word "sliding" was underlined.

One highly practical feature you can't seem to get on the Journey is the power liftgate. Never cared much about it before but now that I have it I'll never go back.

If it had an adjustable stop I would agree with you, but its anoying because it hits my garage door when I open it, and usually my hands are full so I cant grab it to stop it. I prefer the manual gate on my suburban for this reason, plus the glass opens indepently from the gate if needed.

Consumer Reports said "Despite the new engine and updated interior appointments, the Journey is still mediocre overall. The Journey was a mediocre performer when we last tested it in 2008, and a new engine and interior appointments haven't helped much. It rides well and is quiet, but that's about all."

Meanwhile the Durango is pretty much universally complemented by the auto press.
I personally did not see anything "mediocre" about it when we compared it to like vehicles in its price range, but again thats just an opinion, you would need to see if its worth saving the thousands of dollars for yourself, but I wouldnt write it off without checking it out.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Crew Member
Professional

I personally did not see anything "mediocre" about it when we compared it to like vehicles in its price range, but again thats just an opinion, you would need to see if its worth saving the thousands of dollars for yourself, but I wouldnt write it off without checking it out.
Agreed it's all just opinions. But that's what the OP asked for! He/she really does need to just go drive both for themselves and stop asking for forum opinions when such opinions are almost always split 50/50, thereby really being no help.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 PM
huskerfan4lyf

Thanks, Crew Member, and everyone else! I agree, a question like this brings out all the "my opinions," and can be quite subjective. That's partly why I asked for a bit more objective observations/facts such as durability, reliability, etc. (though they too can be anecdotal). But I appreciate everyone's subjective and objective feedback. Love the value of this forum! Thanks all, and I'd appreciate hearing from more!

Quick Reply: Durango vs. Journey - That is the Question.