3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 RT acceleration hesitation

Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM
asurdez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RT acceleration hesitation

My 2013 RT is having some odd acceleration hesitation, not sure if its set wrong in the electronic or if there's a learning procedure for driving habit.
Anyway, when punching the vehicle from standing still, D won't barely move to about 10-20 mph, then takes off like a rocket. Also today, turned onto a road behind a semi, put it in 2nd gear and tried to pass, hit the pedal quite hard but wouldn't really move until about half the semi length, then he's picking up and pulls like it should.

Anybody with similar issues and what did you do, if?

On the Magnum, stop the vehicle, turn ignition to on w/o starting the engine, then wait until the flashing lights stop, press the pedal down hard and let go quick, turn off ignition. This learned the car my habits.
Does the Durango have it similar?

Thanks for any help

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
inyadreems
Veteran

From FSTDANGO3 in another post

Do the factory pedal calibration it helps. Sit in the D and do not touch the brake pedal. Now push the start button twice until it gets to run(again dont actually start or touch brake) Now slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and slowly let it come all the way back up. Now hit the start button again to turn everything off. Start your D normally and see if the pedal is a little more responsive now.

Attached Images  

Last edited by inyadreems; 07-20-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

I've had times (like today) where I'm going about 5MPH waiting to merge into traffic, and when I go to accelerate I get mostly nothing for about 5 seconds. What I believe has happened is that when I was going slow it prematurely upshifted so when I hit the gas I can't get enough RPM's to get it moving. I come off looking like I intentionally cut somebody off. Aggravating to have a Hemi and I can't accelerate to merge. Luckily this has only happened a few times in 26k miles.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 PM
ghallman

Thank you!!!! Been trying to figure out what's been wrong with the R/T for weeks now (via google and trying to explain to Hypertech as I have the interceptor) The best description I could come up with was like it had clogged injectors (not an option really with only 13k miles). It just didn't have the pick up it should have at WOT, then I would let off a bit and it would take off. Found this thread and ran down to garage to try it.... Just had one of the best late night test drives I've taken in a while!!! Perfect even/strong pull putting me back in the seat all the way. Wife thinks I am nuts from all my jumping around and damn near giggling. Haha

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Glad it worked
If you notice it acting up again ...just do it again
STEVE

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta try this technique!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

OK, I wasn't having any acceleration issues, but I tried on my SXT just for ****s and giggles.

Damn, that brought the go pedal to life! I honestly wasn't expecting anything, but what a difference in throttle response. The pedal is even touchy at parking lot speeds. The pedal feel is now much like my Magnum R/T was.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

You can also (if equipped) turn the Tow Haul on. It will turn the MDS off and give you FULL control of the vehicle without having any sort of "limits". A regional tech told me this trick. He also said the 2014 will not have this issue along with some other we are all currently having.......waiting for the ordering to start I will be one of the first on the list to give back my 2013 R/T for the 2014 R/T.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Music_Man82
Amateur
Default Factory Pedal Cal.

I did the calibration this morning on my SXT and call me crazy, but it felt like it worked! when going up a hill, I use to feel like my truck was just moving slow and i was punching the pedal, this morning after the calibration it was flying up the hill. Thank Guys!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
You can also (if equipped) turn the Tow Haul on. It will turn the MDS off and give you FULL control of the vehicle without having any sort of "limits". A regional tech told me this trick. He also said the 2014 will not have this issue along with some other we are all currently having.......waiting for the ordering to start I will be one of the first on the list to give back my 2013 R/T for the 2014 R/T.
Wow tried the tow haul tip today, what a difference! Transmission shift points change and it feels like the torque comes on sooner.

I would love to get a 14, but I got a huge discount on a 13 that I would never have gotten on a 14.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 RT acceleration hesitation