3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Ron Burgundy sells the 2014 DD

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM
JoeyD
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullslp
So after reading some replies I thought about how effective these advertisements really are so yesterday I showed the gumball video to 10 people at work. 7 men and 3 women. I initially asked all of them one question. Would you buy a Durango based on this commercial alone. Obviously they all replied no. Although 3 of them asked follow up questions about the truck. " none of them recalled seeing one on the road and since I don't drive mine to work it seemed like a fair experiment. Today I asked another question to the 10 people. What kind of Vehicle was in the commercial yesterday. They all replied A DODGE DURANGO. So I assume they were using a high profile personality to get the dodge Durango into viewers minds. I guess that worked.
Given Durango's current market position, I would say it worked exactly as intended. I think a better question for for sample audience would be "if you were shopping for an suv , would the Durango be something you would check out?"

I know for me personally, the Durango was not even on my radar when I started researching a year ago. Its only because I am OCD about my product research that I learned enough to determine that a '14 Durango is my top choice.

People need to know that the Durango exists before they can consider buying one. .

Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Fullslp
Captain

People need to know that the Durango exists before they can consider buying one. .[/QUOTE]

Very true. Here is a blip for ya guys from MSN.

Will Ferrell’s over-the-top TV news anchor is featured in series of TV and online ads.

According to Chrysler, the appearance of Will Ferrell’s over-the-top TV news anchor character Ron Burgundy in the Durango ads “marks the first time a movie studio and brand tie-in has utilized starring talent, in character, to create original long and short form content.” The ad campaign, which will run through to the release of the movie “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” in December, features Ferrell’s Burgundy character in a series of spots that will run on TV and online.

While celebrity endorsers typically extol the virtues of a vehicle model, Burgundy does it in his own inimitable and funny fashion.

In one spot, Burgundy goes into details about the Durango’s glove box as opposed to the vehicle's Hemi engine: “0.1 cubic feet of storage, 12-volt light bulb, all in beautiful injection-molded thermoplastic olefin.” In another he compares the Durango’s Hemi engine “with up to 360 horsepower” to “a horse . . . with one horsepower.” Burgundy then chides a horse on the set by asking, “That makes you feel pretty dumb, doesn’t it?”

Two spots called Ballroom Dancers” will debut tonight on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” and additional spots will appear in the run up to the release of “Anchorman 2." All the videos will be curated on the dedicated website BurgundyDodge.com and on the comedy site FunnyorDie.com that Ferrell and “Anchorman” writer-director Adam McKay founded.

The campaign will also include original content created specifically for BurgundyDodge.com and, according to Chrysler, "videos on the Dodge Facebook page, Ron Burgundy Twitter Takeovers, Instagram video clips, a tumblr page featuring animated GIFs and memes, and a dedicated Pinterest board for Ron Burgundy featuring videos and content.”

And in what we’re sure has to be part of the tongue-in-cheek flavor of the campaign, Josh Greenstein of Paramount Pictures, the studio releasing "Anchorman 2," said in a statement from Chrysler that “Ron Burgundy as the new Dodge Durango spokesperson brings together two iconic American legends.” At least we hope that’s the case.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Seeing as though Chrysler has about half the advertising budget of GM, partnering with Paramount certainly gives them a lot more for their "Ad dollar". Happy to see brand association following the first run of these ads.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Comedy can be described as a series of the letter "S"...Smart, Silly, Sarcastic, Salacious, Stupid, Sexy, Stressful. There are a few more that I can't think of at the moment. When the smartest comedy on TV, "Big Bang", strays from being Smart, it goes to "Silly". When "2.5 Men" strays from being Salacious, it goes to Stupid. The Durango ads with Will Ferrell went straight to Stupid. The glove box is the only one I have seen on the TV. 55 inches (diagonal) of stupid in brilliant color. Doomed...we're all doomed...

Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by pjw1967
Comedy can be described as a series of the letter "S"...Smart, Silly, Sarcastic, Salacious, Stupid, Sexy, Stressful. There are a few more that I can't think of at the moment. When the smartest comedy on TV, "Big Bang", strays from being Smart, it goes to "Silly". When "2.5 Men" strays from being Salacious, it goes to Stupid. The Durango ads with Will Ferrell went straight to Stupid. The glove box is the only one I have seen on the TV. 55 inches (diagonal) of stupid in brilliant color. Doomed...we're all doomed...
The first one I saw was the horse one and I'd place that firmly in the "Silly" category. Especially once the pony came out and Burgundy had to quickly backpedal.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM
jwr9152
Professional

Like the new slogan. "Built to raise hell and children of character"

Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Even CNN talking about Ron too

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/sho...commercial.cnn

All this is just going to increase the popularity even more, on a side note, cant wait for Anchorman2

Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=pjw1967;3084955]The glove box is the only one I have seen on the TV. 55 inches (diagonal) of stupid in brilliant color. QUOTE]

It was almost as dumb as "MPG," where Burgundy tries to pronounce M.P.G. as a word vs abbreviations. After the second "mispronounciation" the commercial became tedious.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as we're critiquing Ron Burgundy . . . just saw the "Dirty Dancers" version and LOL. That one worked for me but the rest . . . not so much.

Quick Reply: Ron Burgundy sells the 2014 DD