3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 durango starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
slaragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 durango starter issue

Hello,
When pushing the start button the starter keeps going on and on and not starting. Sometimes I need to remove the push button but today that didnt even work.

Is there a simple fix?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An engine that cranks but doesn't fire could be an indication of a fuel pump failure (or clogged fuel line); there also shouldn't be any fuel odor. If it is a clogged fuel line you will also experience poor performance in acceleration.
Typically an engine that doesn't fire due to electrical failure or flooding will have a strong fuel odor.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slaragon
Hello,
When pushing the start button the starter keeps going on and on and not starting. Sometimes I need to remove the push button but today that didnt even work.

Is there a simple fix?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I had the same problem.

Some questions for you:
1) how is your D parked (incline or decline)?

2) have you changed the grade of gas you put in?

3) have you gone to near empty before filling up?

4) is it on cold start or warm start

My answers

1) on incline and now parked on decline and no problems until after a couple days

2) i used to put 89 and now 87

3) the gas light came on

4) cold start i have problems

I just added in fuel injector cleaner, dry gas, octane booster to half a tank. Ive got a 2 hr trip to PA tomorrow so lets see what happens afterwards.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDCREW
An engine that cranks but doesn't fire could be an indication of a fuel pump failure (or clogged fuel line); there also shouldn't be any fuel odor. If it is a clogged fuel line you will also experience poor performance in acceleration.
Typically an engine that doesn't fire due to electrical failure or flooding will have a strong fuel odor.
I had no smell of gas at all. But as i posted above we will see after a good trip

Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM
mrsims65
Rookie

had the same problem yesterday morning.....took D to dealer and there were no codes stored so they checked the fuel pump said everything was OK.... hope this doesnt happen again.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
DavidPreston

Originally Posted by mrsims65
had the same problem yesterday morning.....took D to dealer and there were no codes stored so they checked the fuel pump said everything was OK.... hope this doesnt happen again.
Interesting as I just started having the same problem last week. The engine turns over and over but wont start. I do this sometimes 2-4 times and then it starts usually rough for a second or too and then is fine. Never appears to have any issues when driving only after it has turned off and set for a more than a few minutes.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM
ghallman

This happened to my wife a few weeks ago in our '11 R/T. Never happened before, and hasn't since, but I sure would like to know what it was all about.

We had no change in fuel grade, parked in garage (level obviously), and the thing never drops below 1/4 tank.

With only 14k miles it and always running 92 octane I highly doubt the injectors are clogged or anything.

Looking forward to someone finding some answers.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by ghallman
Looking forward to someone finding some answers.
As there are a number of possible causes (ignition, fuel, computer), you can't presume that someone solving their issue will necessarily help you. Unless a widespread issue is discovered such as a bad batch of fuel pumps or a firmware issue, I'd expect a variety of causes and fixes.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by bbtkd
As there are a number of possible causes (ignition, fuel, computer), you can't presume that someone solving their issue will necessarily help you. Unless a widespread issue is discovered such as a bad batch of fuel pumps or a firmware issue, I'd expect a variety of causes and fixes.
Amen to above. I know from experience that Gen 1 Durangos got goofy when the battery was about to go. Since we're talking about an '11 here, that could make the battery 4 years old? Instinct would tell you that a battery with enough juice to turn over would have enough to energize the ignition system. Not the case with a Gen 1. One symptom of a failing Gen 1 battery was rough idle. Any sign of that?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghallman
With only 14k miles it and always running 92 octane I highly doubt the injectors are clogged or anything.
Any particular reason you are running 92 octane? Just curious.

Quick Reply: 2011 durango starter issue