3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Any V-6 problems out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any V-6 problems out there?

I've had no problems with my DD V-6 (30K miles) but have heard some complaints here and elsewhere. Complaints are general "rough running" "lack of power" etc. but no one has been specific, and I was wondering if anyone here give a more detailed explanation and source of the problem, i.e., at what mileage does it usually occur, estimate on the percentage of "bad" engines, how its fixed and how much it costs.
Or if you know a web site that explains all this let us know. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look for people having issues with a vehicle hard enough you will find it.

I haven't heard of any sever problems with the v6. Hell, there were some folks on the RAM forums running it, to my surprise, and had no issues at all. It's a great motor from what I have read.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM
50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Rookie

no problems so far, only 1500 miles on it, but I am a little dissapointed with the lack of power. I don't drive on the highway very often so it's really not an issue for me, but due to a family emergency this weekend, I did a lot of highway driving. As I hit the gas I almost felt like my D was hesitating a little bit. If I was already in the "comfort zone" going 65-70 and I hit it a little bit I didn't notice it as much, but starting out from a toll booth or a rest stop I really noticed it. other than that, I think it's really smooth.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Orin: 24,000 miles and the only problem so far was a faulty tailgate support. Engine is smooth as can be.

50: I felt power was lacking when my D was newer as well. It bets better as it gets broken in, even at 10,000 miles it seemed to be improving. After I switched to synthetic, power and mileage both improved a little as well. YOu have to lay your foot into it like you mean it when you want to pass or accellerate. Gentle doesn't do it.

I rented a Challenger with the same Pentastar a few weeks ago while traveling. After that, I am more impressed. This thing could end up being as legendary as the Nissan VQ V6. The Durango is just a bit heavy for it and the 2011-13 models didn't have a transmission that responds well to spirited driving.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Have you done the pedal calibration 50? It does help throttle response quite a bit. Dual exhaust also helps.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by wi-steve
Orin: 24,000 miles and the only problem so far was a faulty tailgate support. Engine is smooth as can be.

50: I felt power was lacking when my D was newer as well. It bets better as it gets broken in, even at 10,000 miles it seemed to be improving. After I switched to synthetic, power and mileage both improved a little as well. YOu have to lay your foot into it like you mean it when you want to pass or accellerate. Gentle doesn't do it.

I rented a Challenger with the same Pentastar a few weeks ago while traveling. After that, I am more impressed. This thing could end up being as legendary as the Nissan VQ V6. The Durango is just a bit heavy for it and the 2011-13 models didn't have a transmission that responds well to spirited driving.

I was actually chalking it up to only having 1500 miles on it. when I put my foot on it is actually when it felt like it was hesitating...just seemed like it took longer than it should have to shift.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Rookie

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
Have you done the pedal calibration 50? It does help throttle response quite a bit. Dual exhaust also helps.
Pedal what? LOL. I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars...no idea what that even is...well, I should say no idea how to do that...I have heard of it just never done it before

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Crew Member
Professional

The V6 model was taken off Consumer Reports' recommended list this year because of unspecified engine trouble.

The V8 model is still recommended.

I find I feel and hear the pentastar more in the D than any of my recent Fords. My Explorer V8 and Taurus V6 both seemed quieter and smoother. We rented an Enclave and Traverse last summer - both seemed less raucous. Even my 2.0 Focus seems less raucous.

Granted, it revs smoothly. But there are times in around town driving that it seems loud - it might be primarily when its heavily loaded fighting the transmission for a downshift. This is my only complaint about the D.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

Originally Posted by 50 SHADES OF MINERAL GRAY
Pedal what? LOL. I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars...no idea what that even is...well, I should say no idea how to do that...I have heard of it just never done it before
It's how the ecu learns the pedal accelerator position. It's part of the joy of have an electronic throttle body, but it's a very simple process. Cycle the key to the on position, wait for the dummy lights to go out, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and let it up just as slowly, cycle the key back to the off position, wait 5 secs and then start the engine.

Originally Posted by Crew Member
The V6 model was taken off Consumer Reports' recommended list this year because of unspecified engine trouble.

The V8 model is still recommended.

I find I feel and hear the pentastar more in the D than any of my recent Fords. My Explorer V8 and Taurus V6 both seemed quieter and smoother. We rented an Enclave and Traverse last summer - both seemed less raucous. Even my 2.0 Focus seems less raucous.

Granted, it revs smoothly. But there are times in around town driving that it seems loud - it might be primarily when its heavily loaded fighting the transmission for a downshift. This is my only complaint about the D.
We've been over this before, the pentastar moves a lot of air for a V6 so of course it's going to be louder when it's under load. Most companies put undersized throttle bodies on V6 to cover up their inherently noisy nature. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to grasp.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
We've been over this before, the pentastar moves a lot of air for a V6 so of course it's going to be louder when it's under load. Most companies put undersized throttle bodies on V6 to cover up their inherently noisy nature. I don't know why this concept is so difficult to grasp.
Mind explaining to all us lesser minds why the GM 3.6 with the same displacement and basically same power numbers seems significantly quieter?

Last edited by Crew Member; 11-05-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Toned down my response.

Quick Reply: Any V-6 problems out there?