3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Billet Tech Countdown Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM
MagnumRT05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lhymes
Would you consider the catch can a must-buy for the HEMI 2014 Dodge Durango and would it even work on the new model? I've honestly never considered getting one. My Durango is brand new, so if oil does pass through it unintentionally, I guess now would be the best time to get it. Weird that it only says 2011-2012 Durango 5.7L
The catch can is a very misunderstood thing. If you head over to LXForums, there are many threads on the subject (one of the best here http://www.lxforums.com/board/f164/c...ml#post3163341). The fact is (and not just me saying this, the SRT Engineers also chuckle when its been brought up in discussions) a catch can WILL reduce oil injestion and assist in helping keep the backside of the throttle body butterfly clean. However, engine performance/longevity is not and will never be increased with a "clean" throttle body, nor by removing oil vapor.

Also, the 5.7 and smaller engines have an oil separator (read: catch can) built into the OEM plastic intake manifolds. Anything caught by an aftermarket catch can would simply be caught regardless by the OEM intake manifold/PCV area.

Cliffs notes: Will a catch can hurt anything? Definitely not! Is it necessary? Absolutely not and the Engineers have stated so multiple times.
Originally Posted by Orin500XL
The stuff is for Hemis only. Us po' foke gotta drive V6s.
Its for both Hemi and Pentastar Durangos. I dont think a single thing on that page wouldnt fit a V6 Durango.
Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
Does the catch can void warranty work?
No, it wont. It (the BT one) was actually ALMOST brought on as a genuine MOPAR accessory, but for obvious reasons, it was killed.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I see people on here spending more on a v6 than I spent on my R/T. lol

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Thanks magnumrt05

I don't think I'm gonna put any money into this thing for a little while. Reading all the Tipm nightmares has me skidish.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

There are a ton of things that will work on your V6. All the fluid covers should work, the fuse box cover, Shifter handles all work, Billet Sill plates work etc etc.
STEVE

Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
rvarner
Professional

Originally Posted by MagnumRT05
The catch can is a very misunderstood thing. If you head over to LXForums, there are many threads on the subject (one of the best here http://www.lxforums.com/board/f164/c...ml#post3163341). The fact is (and not just me saying this, the SRT Engineers also chuckle when its been brought up in discussions) a catch can WILL reduce oil injestion and assist in helping keep the backside of the throttle body butterfly clean. However, engine performance/longevity is not and will never be increased with a "clean" throttle body, nor by removing oil vapor.

Also, the 5.7 and smaller engines have an oil separator (read: catch can) built into the OEM plastic intake manifolds. Anything caught by an aftermarket catch can would simply be caught regardless by the OEM intake manifold/PCV area.

Cliffs notes: Will a catch can hurt anything? Definitely not! Is it necessary? Absolutely not and the Engineers have stated so multiple times.

Its for both Hemi and Pentastar Durangos. I dont think a single thing on that page wouldnt fit a V6 Durango.

No, it wont. It (the BT one) was actually ALMOST brought on as a genuine MOPAR accessory, but for obvious reasons, it was killed.

Thanks for that! I was just about to pull the trigger on a catch can (even though I didnt want to). After doing more research it doesn't seen to be necessary at all. It doesn't hurt, but doesn't seem to matter.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Rich do yourself a favor and get a catch can. Sorry but these things suck oil at WOT
I only drove mine a 1000 miles and there is some in the can. At 40% off you can get it for $80 or so
STEVE

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM
lhymes

Yeah, after doing more readup, I've decided to get one. I plan on keeping my 2014 for as long as possible, so I feel it's worth it.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM
JustinK.
Professional

Just ordered my Oil Catch Can..... Now all I need is my Durango!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Yup catch can is ordered. Love this deal!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Gqjeff
Veteran

$206 after the 40% off

Quick Reply: Billet Tech Countdown Sale