3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Stuck Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 PM
TheShadowShadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Accelerator

The morning after I picked up my new 2014 Dodge Durango RT, Hemi, I was driving down a mile- long straight stretch. I floored it, as I let off the gas the accelerator was stuck on the floor. I was going now going a speed over 85mph and still accelerating, I put the brakes on as hard as I could, and pressed the start/stop button. The next thing I knew everything stopped. I put it in park, got out and opened the hood, and saw nothing. I looked inside and found the floor mat was in the retainers, and It was curled up holding the accelerator to the floor. I released the accelerator and restarted the engine. Ever since I took the curl out of the floor mat, everything has been fine. My question is, “what made it stop? Was it the brakes ? Was it the start/stop button? I don't know and I would really like to.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Uncommon sense goes a long way.

Hitting the on/off button.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Since the toyota fiasco, manufacturers have programmed a throttle safety mechanism which releases the throttle if the brake is applied at the same time. Some performance vehicles have a track mode that defeats this function for heal and toe driving. I still love the throttle response of my 97 SS's old fashioned cable throttle. But the safety factor is great on the family ride.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Good Save, definitely shut off because you hit the button and Brake.
Make sure that Floor mat is in correctly
STEVE

Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

Maybe a silly question, but since I do not get my D until this weekend, does the carpet have any Velcro to hold it? I am going to assume no. My other cars have these round Velcro disks to keep the carpet from moving. if the D does not, I am going to have them sewn into the carpet.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Dango84
Amateur

No Velcro. Just hooks. They don't move anywhere for me.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM
coldsteel
Captain

I never had that problem with the standard carpeted mats, but I changed out to Weathertechs digital fit ones which sit back behind the pedal, so there is no real chance of the accelerator being stuck down.

The others are correct about the drive by wire (computer controlled) throttles. If the brake is depressed and the throttle position is > than a certain percent (perhaps 50%) then the computer goes into safe and cuts throttle.

No more runaway cars or deaths. I believe Toyota just got slapped with a 1.2 billion (with a B) dollar fine this past week.

Quick Reply: Stuck Accelerator