3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cold Air Intakes, AirAid or K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered a volant, mainly because i like the way it is built, should be here today, and hopefully install soon.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by dubking999
another question. some say: every vehicle with an airintake has to be tuned. cause due to the larger amount of air gained from the airintake the throttle body response and it's opening size has to be calibrated to the new airintake over stock calibration. otherwise you'll end up loosing high speed but gaining horsepower. unlike if you'd have the vehicle tuned up. then you'll gain both high speed and horsepower. on my old 2 vehicles I didn't loose anything cause both of em were tuned. and this time I don't wanna tune my Durango. experts, opinions please.

IMO you don't need a tune with an air intake or exhaust or combo of both. The computer system is very advanced and will make alterations based on air flow etc. It tunes to make sure the A/F ratio is correct.

I had an old 5.0 with a cam, heads, intake, injectors, Mass air meter, exhaust blah blah blah
with the factory computer and had NO ISSUES. Car ran 12's all day long and got 21mpg.

Now it may be beneficial with a cam, supercharger etc but not an exhaust intake whatever.

Chris

Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

You don't NEED it but you are missing out on some additional power without a tune when adding bolt on mods. Anyone who data logs can tell you that.

I have enjoyed the afe intake. Good build quality. I enjoy not having to oil the filter. I ran K&N on all of my last vehicles and never had a problem. Some of the fastest RAM's on other forums are running the K&N set up, amongst other things. lol
People that have issues with oiled filters usually over oil the filter media after cleaning so take what you hear or read with a grain of salt.

Last edited by fishandgrits; 12-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:33 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
You don't NEED it but you are missing out on some additional power without a tune when adding bolt on mods. Anyone who data logs can tell you that.

IMO 5-10hp is not worth is for the $$ especially on a heavy vehicle like the Durango, now if the shift pattern is improved that alone may be worth it . Im sure I left some power on the table but not enough to justify the cost back then. IF it was supercharged or turbo'd, no doubt, but it was NA. NA vehicles that are not heavily modified rarely see much useable gains...

Chris

Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Not heavily modified? Cams headers exhaust intake injectors is some large cash to spend not to get the most out of them. At that point what's an extra $500? lol

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Back to the subject.......if I was choosing between an Airraid or K&N it would be K&N for me. Never had a single issue with them and they are priced right for what they are.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
Not heavily modified? Cams headers exhaust intake injectors is some large cash to spend not to get the most out of them. At that point what's an extra $500? lol

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Back to the subject.......if I was choosing between an Airraid or K&N it would be K&N for me. Never had a single issue with them and they are priced right for what they are.
Mine was...I was referencing the Durango ....at the time 15 years ago, I didn't see piggybacks that did a much better job than the factory ECU and I did not want to go to a custom air density system with a laptop etc. I knew a few that had piggybacks and seemed like there was always an issue here or there, while I just jumped in my ol 1979 and fired her up every time with out issue(I converted it to EFI with a donor wrecked 1990 and grafted the harness on to the 1979 harness.)

Anyway as you said, I have hijacked this thread enough lol

Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
dubking999
Amateur

90% will go for the dry AFE CAI. as many guys over this forum recommended it. while on some other forum they recommended Volant.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

I'm thinking of selling my near new Volant. Guess I'm not a huge fan of extra roar under throttle. Quality wise I think it's as well built as factory.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Gqjeff
Veteran

I went Volant dry... The install was all of about 20 min tops LOL.. easy as pie..

Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 PM
V for Victory
All Star

Volant dry here too. Best quality and closed top to help heat soak in the summer. Unfortunately Whatever gains we are seeing with this in the winter with the nice cold air is minimized by the crap winter gas. Ugh. I hate mixed gas.

Last edited by V for Victory; 12-12-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes, AirAid or K&N?