3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 R/T or 2014 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Crew Member
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wash Man
Dodge tried hard to not bump the price on the 14, the only real difference should be the incentives. Again, I think it's worth it.
Ahh but they did raise them on all but the base version.

My '13 Crew w/ Nav stickered for $37.3k. To get the same features in a '14 would be $39,035. So $1,700, PLUS the difference in rebates and dealer discounts. It's a significant amount, at least to someone with my income.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Originally Posted by Crew Member

By the way, I have a pet peeve when everyone says the 8.4" screen is "so much bigger." It's really not when you consider the buttons are permanently moved onto the 8.4" screen whereas on the 430n they're off the screen. So the usable screen area you have for navigation or music is not really much bigger at all for '14.
I have the larger screen in my Charger R/T and I can tell you that this is only partially true. It is much larger when you are using NAV only, or the back up camera for instance. If you have the controls as well as NAV displaying then yes, what you are saying is true. Actually the 430/730 NAV screen has a much sharper display then the 8.4" screen. What drives me nuts is that DODGE waits so long to upgrade all of their vehicles with the same features. I can understand RAM and DODGE not upgrading the features at the same time but DODGE should have had all 8.4" screens in all vehicles since 2011. It's not new. lol

To the OP, get what you can afford. Don't live above your means and be happy my friend. Good luck to ya!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I have the larger screen in my Charger R/T and I can tell you that this is only partially true. It is much larger when you are using NAV only, or the back up camera for instance. If you have the controls as well as NAV displaying then yes, what you are saying is true. Actually the 430/730 NAV screen has a much sharper display then the 8.4" screen. What drives me nuts is that DODGE waits so long to upgrade all of their vehicles with the same features. I can understand RAM and DODGE not upgrading the features at the same time but DODGE should have had all 8.4" screens in all vehicles since 2011. It's not new. lol

To the OP, get what you can afford. Don't live above your means and be happy my friend. Good luck to ya!
Ah so you can go to "full screen" mode to hide the buttons? Well that's good, but still it's an extra step.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Jbry311
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crew Member
I bought a highly discounted '13 in August. I could've waited a couple months for the '14, but it would have been thousands more. The improvements weren't worth it for me. The transmission in the '13 is fine. Sure the 8-speed is a little smoother and acceleration a few tenths quicker, but my family will never notice those things in everyday around town driving. The things that really count for everyday driving (economy, comfort, handling etc.) haven't really changed for '14. By the way, I have a pet peeve when everyone says the 8.4" screen is "so much bigger." It's really not when you consider the buttons are permanently moved onto the 8.4" screen whereas on the 430n they're off the screen. So the usable screen area you have for navigation or music is not really much bigger at all for '14. PLUS, the big thing you lose for '14 is the 28 gig hard drive and standard CD drive (if I'm not mistaken). Those are deal breakers for me. I have a few thousand songs permanently in my Durango - that's a huge convenience. P.S. On occaision I somewhat regret not having the 8-speed, but overall I do NOT regret getting the '13 for thousands less. P.S.S. There are still NEW '13s on the lots out there if you look around.
All good points. Makes sense. I think we just always want the latest and greatest. I will say I think the new instrumentation on the'14 looks a bit less stylish after comparing pics of the '13 and '14. I still like it, but something about it reminds me of my fiancées Hyundai Veloster, which isn't bad it just looks kind of cheap. I could be totally wrong because I haven't seen it in person, so I'm not knocking anyone if they have it.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
-Ross-
Rookie

I am the proud owner of a fully loaded 2013 R/T.

If I were purchasing today, I'd go with the 2014. I did get a good discount on my 2013 last February, but I am one who would pay a few grand extra for the 2014 updates. I like the improved peformance that comes with the 8spd auto. I like the LEDs. I like the wheels. I like the new center stack / NAV unit. I like the blu-ray player with dual monitors and I know my 2 kids (who are into different programming...9 & 3 years old) would appreciate that too.

I saw something above about the hard drive not being available with the 2014s. I can't confirm that, but I do know a 64gb SD card or an ipod/mp3 player/phone hooked up to the bluetooth would fill that void.

Last edited by -Ross-; 01-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Jbry311
Rookie

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I have the larger screen in my Charger R/T and I can tell you that this is only partially true. It is much larger when you are using NAV only, or the back up camera for instance. If you have the controls as well as NAV displaying then yes, what you are saying is true. Actually the 430/730 NAV screen has a much sharper display then the 8.4" screen. What drives me nuts is that DODGE waits so long to upgrade all of their vehicles with the same features. I can understand RAM and DODGE not upgrading the features at the same time but DODGE should have had all 8.4" screens in all vehicles since 2011. It's not new. lol To the OP, get what you can afford. Don't live above your means and be happy my friend. Good luck to ya!
Appreciate it. I think we all like to live above our means sometimes, but I try not to. It's not that drastic of a difference between the two, so who knows what my indecisive mind will decide to do. All I know is I need to get out of my wrangler and I've always loved Durango's (minus 2nd generation), so I need to pull the trigger soon. Plus I'm getting married soon and a kid could be in the picture soon, so I need something bigger, yet stylish. That's exactly what an R/T Durango is.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Jbry311
Rookie

Forgot to ask about RWD vs AWD. Any input? I live in Florida, so I think I know the answer.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

RWD for sure...
Either V6 or V8 model will suffer less drivetrain power loss with the RWD as well.
STEVE

Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Jbry311
Rookie

Found a '14 in Granite that's RWD and loaded. They gave me a price of $41k plus tax, but a buddy of mine works for the particular dealer group, so he's going to call them tomorrow and see what he can work out. If I can get it around $38k I think I'll pull the trigger.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Pdwelch2000
Rookie

I replaced my 2013 Hemi Citadel with a 2014 R/T. No comparison. It's finally a car that can compete. I suspect the 11 to 13's are going to start to really depreciate. Went from a 67 to an 83 in Consumer Reports.

Quick Reply: 2013 R/T or 2014 R/T