3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Getting my 2014 R/T Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the RAM forums and see what happened after RIPP was installed for a few months. lol

Now don't get me wrong, we can't account for how the vehicle was treated however, keep in mind this kit is for 2011-2014, which have different transmissions which are NOT comparable to a BMW transmission. hahahahahaha

Someone do this and be the guinee pig! I'm curious what size injectors they are running and if they will give you a discount if you already have the trinity for tuning.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
Go to the RAM forums and see what happened after RIPP was installed for a few months. lol

Now don't get me wrong, we can't account for how the vehicle was treated however, keep in mind this kit is for 2011-2014, which have different transmissions which are NOT comparable to a BMW transmission. hahahahahaha

Someone do this and be the guinee pig! I'm curious what size injectors they are running and if they will give you a discount if you already have the trinity for tuning.
Thanks, will read around some more. I am going to be a guinea pig. I am already in contact with Ripp, they are very local to where i live, so if i have to limp my car back to them, it'll be easy.

Research indicated that the 8speed in the 2014 v8, is the 8hp70 which is used in a lot of higher power applications. the BMW uses the same ZF transmission that they all buy direct from ZF.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The 8 speed in your D is Chryslers' design of the ZF I would not bet on the same power handling although I think it will handle it.
STEVE

Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
The 8 speed in your D is Chryslers' design of the ZF I would not bet on the same power handling although I think it will handle it.
STEVE
quote from allpar

The transmission, when built by ZF itself, is a ZF design with changes to match Chrysler equipment

Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Most of the components for the build are made by ZF, Chrysler builds these. Not saying they are bad or weaker I am saying that is the way they do it.
There was an article somewhere else regarding the differences whether good or bad.
I think you will be ok. I think I would worry more about the differentials or AWD transfer case but those are pretty stout as well. I just wish some of the HD compnents from teh SRT8 Jeep were used in the D build.
I will be watching your new build carefully enjoy that extra 150 hp
STEVE

Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Most of the components for the build are made by ZF, Chrysler builds these. Not saying they are bad or weaker I am saying that is the way they do it.
There was an article somewhere else regarding the differences whether good or bad.
I think you will be ok. I think I would worry more about the differentials or AWD transfer case but those are pretty stout as well. I just wish some of the HD compnents from teh SRT8 Jeep were used in the D build.
I will be watching your new build carefully enjoy that extra 150 hp
STEVE
thanks, just wanted to clarify in case there are any misconceptions, my build sheet shows that the transmission is (BUY) purchased whole from ZF. Then again this is just based off reading forums, that i assume that Chrysler buys the transmission used with the hemi.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the components for the build are made by ZF, Chrysler builds these. Not saying they are bad or weaker I am saying that is the way they do it. There was an article somewhere else regarding the differences whether good or bad. I think you will be ok. I think I would worry more about the differentials or AWD transfer case but those are pretty stout as well. I just wish some of the HD compnents from teh SRT8 Jeep were used in the D build. I will be watching your new build carefully enjoy that extra 150 hp STEVE
For the 2014 models the ZF's for the V8 Jeeps and Durango's continued to be built by ZF in the new US based ZF factory. The others were made under license in the Chrysler factory. Some research was done on this in another thread.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

Last edited by Wash Man; 03-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And of course Chrysler won't tell because everything is proprietary information. You can check and compare part numbers etc. for Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram until the cows come home but there will always be that cintilla of doubt.
I'm glad someone has the kejones and schekels to be the test mule because I sure don't. It'll be an interesting experiment that everyone here can enjoy.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

I would swap out all the tranny, transfer case and any other drive line fluid for a high quality synthetic like Amsoil for added protection.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by inyadreems
I would swap out all the tranny, transfer case and any other drive line fluid for a high quality synthetic like Amsoil for added protection.
thanks will see if i can get that done as well.

Quick Reply: Getting my 2014 R/T Supercharged