3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Stalling...TPIM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM
MoparJP
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Stalling...TPIM?

Currently own a 2011 Durango Crew with 5.7 and 3.55s. For a while, I was having an issue during cold starts where the motor would crank and crank and crank and wouldn’t start. Usually, you would disengage the starter, push the button and it would fire right back up. That issue has disappeared and been gone for over a year (15K miles). In the past 6 months, a new issue involving a stall while coming to a stop has surfaced. Every time, you can pop it in neutral and turn the key/push button and it lights off and runs. I have noticed it more frequently when coming to a stop on a slight downhill, but can do it on flat ground. Maybe did it 10-12 times in a 6 month time frame. Recently, it ceased to do it for about a month and a half, then has done it again twice in the past week. Does this sound like a TPIM issue, or more like a throttle position sensor issue? There is no check engine light or obvious codes being thrown. Any feedback is appreciated. Other than that, we love this Durango.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Pop the hood and remove the cover on your fuse box (TIPM). Go over each fuse and press it firmly, but gently down into its socket. I found that some of mine were a bit loose. Worth a try to make sure everything has a solid connection.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe there are software update for the PCM to fix engine flooded by too much fuel problem due to Purge Solenoid stuck open, causing long crank and occasional stalled.

Updating PCM should be covered under 8yr/80k warranty.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Waynead
Veteran

My '12 is doing this. Every so often it stalls right after starting. When I restart it just cranks and cranks. I shut it off and it restarts perfectly.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Whiteout08
Professional

My 2011 had the exact same problem..wasn't the TIPM, it actually ended up being the fuel pump relay and the wiring to the pump. Once both were replaced, I never had the problem again.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Just back from the dealer- no codes, couldn't replicate my stalling problem. Anyone else seeing this on a Citadel Hemi?

You start the engine just fine, but it stalls in a couple of seconds. Restart and all it does is crank. Turn it off and it restarts perfectly. Never stalls while running after that.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 AM
IEWRX
Professional

Originally Posted by Waynead
Just back from the dealer- no codes, couldn't replicate my stalling problem. Anyone else seeing this on a Citadel Hemi?

You start the engine just fine, but it stalls in a couple of seconds. Restart and all it does is crank. Turn it off and it restarts perfectly. Never stalls while running after that.
This is my problem. I could take it in and getting it to replicate for them is the question. It has stalled coming to a stop several times for me and my wife. The other day is violently bucked/surged then stalled when I was parking curbside. I thought I jumped the curb but definitely had not.

I am just going to ride it out and see what happens. I have already had the TIPM replaced last year.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Waynead
Veteran

IEWRX- what model, engine and year do you have?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 AM
IEWRX
Professional

2011 Citadel Hemi AWD

Quick Reply: 2011 Stalling...TPIM?