3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Off-idle throttle lag/delay

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-idle throttle lag/delay

We just got a 2014 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi and the 8-speed, about 2 months ago. We have REALLY been enjoying this rig. It turned out to be everything we wanted, and more.

Just one thing that is a little odd: When you begin to press the accelerator to start out from a stop, there's a little delay before the engine responds. It is a really brief delay, hardly noticeable. But it is there. It's almost seems like the throttle body may be controlled by some kind of drive-by-wire electronic system, so that your foot is not actually physically connected with the TB? While it is slight, it has caused me to pause and not jump through an intersection when there's slightly less than normal clearance from other vehicles (maybe that's a good thing).

There's a similar feeling when operating under cruise control and wanting to accelerate by pressing down the gas - there's just a little delay before the engine responds.

This Durango is replacing a 2001 that had the 5.9 V8, and that thing has absolutely instantaneous throttle response, so I guess that might be partly why I'm noticing this.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is it normal? Did something need adjusted/fixed?

By the way, someone had mentioned in another thread the feeling of the first two upshifts. I agree completely, it almost seems like the engine backs off between/during those shifts. The sound and feel is very similar to what you would expect when shifting a manual transmission. Which is fine, I keep the throttle pressure constant throughout that, it's just different, and maybe confirming the lack of a physical connection between the gas pedal and the TB.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

There's a throttle reset you can do. Forget the sequence, I think you turn on the vehicle (don't turn over the engine) and then slowly depress the pedal and slowly let it back out. Then turn the vehicle off and then start it up. Has to be done every so often to reset the learning it does.

Or get the Hypertech Interceptor and be done with it all together.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Push button to run (dont start keep foot off brake), depress accellerator to floor slowly and steady, slowly let it come all the way back up. push button to off. Walk away for a little while come back and feel the difference. keep in mind it will learn the way you drive. If you lalliwag and crawl it will revert back to unresonsive. If you drive it sporty your good
STEVE

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 PM
GotRPM
Professional

Dodge engineers have repeatedly debunked the "throttle reset" internet myth, in spite of its proponents it just isn't real. The OP is right, the throttle is controlled by an electric servo connected to the throttle pedal, there is no direct mechanical linkage. The delay is there to "smooth out" the throttle for comfort, but I found it annoying. The Diablo inTune tuner lets you dial most of it out - I love the throttle response now, plus the increased shift points make the truck much more fun to drive around town.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue and brought my 14 Limited V6 in a week ago and there was a nationwide recall on the throttle body. You should check with the dealership. There is now a noticeable difference from before. A lot more responsive now.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

It definitely works
It is actually a procedure when installing a replacement TB to calibrate the system.
When I installed the new FASTMAN TB he advised me to do that procedure as well.
STEVE

The Diablo has tuned out most of it in my D as well

Old 09-06-2014, 11:13 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Option 2:

Option 3:
Diablo with HemiFever tune/ CAI/TB/Exhaust/RIPP

Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

I think I'll give that throttle reset/calibration thing a try. Even if it's a myth it doesn't seem like it would hurt to try. If the issue remains I will likely see the dealer.

That NOS option looks like an interesting one, haha. Only problem is this is mainly my wife's rig, and she's got a greater lead foot than me!

Thanks for the suggestions and if I end up with any useful info I'll update this.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 PM
redalty
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you suspected in your first post, it is something that you will likely not cure without any tune change because the throttle is in fact drive by wire. It's something I've seen as a characteristic of most the DBW vehicles I've been in.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 PM
jazzmaster221
Amateur

did the throttle reset on my d ...the hemi now seems more responsive passing gears kicks in a lot sooner

Last edited by jazzmaster221; 09-14-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply: Off-idle throttle lag/delay