3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Catch Can - dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Leman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can - dumb question

I am seeing some smoke (blue) from my 2014 Hemi. My last 2011 Hemi did do the same under 10Kms, and used more oil, then it settled down. I am seeing some information about catch cans on this forum, so my dumb question is :-

Should I fit one, and why is there not one already installed.

There official dumb question.

Apart from that, having one of the few 2014 (only?) in Geneva, Switzerland means I actually have people taking photos of it, especially at night! I love this thing. A good improvement over my 2011.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2014 has never blown smoke so I have no experience with this. I am interested in what others have to say though.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Nothing much at all has changed with the motor from your 2011 to your 2014. I would recommend a catch can. There is a special design to teh intake manifold that is supposed to catch the oil and hold it, but it doesnt quite do the job and what Dodge engineers feels is an acceptable amount of oil to use and burn is not what I would like to see passing thru my motor
STEVE

Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Nothing much at all has changed with the motor from your 2011 to your 2014. I would recommend a catch can. There is a special design to teh intake manifold that is supposed to catch the oil and hold it, but it doesnt quite do the job and what Dodge engineers feels is an acceptable amount of oil to use and burn is not what I would like to see passing thru my motor STEVE
Same here, no smoke for my 14' Hemi, but I am catching 1 oz per 1000 miles in my catch can

Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran

I wonder if Dodge recommends Pennzoil because of blow by issues. Pennzoil is supposed to clean the engine more than others. This gets me thinking. Should I install a catch can? How difficult is it?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
I wonder if Dodge recommends Pennzoil because of blow by issues. Pennzoil is supposed to clean the engine more than others. This gets me thinking. Should I install a catch can? How difficult is it?
5 minute install

Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

If you are getting the blue smoke at start-up of vehicle then Chrysler knows about it and considers it "normal". How that is normal I will never know.

If you are getting the blue smoke while parked on an incline (Like I Do) then you will need to take it to the dealer and have them do the following:

Replace the original oil pan with the newer "bigger" one they have (THEY KNOW). Then have them install the Flash for the smoking issue. Then see if you can be lucky like I was and get them to cover the cost and installation of the catch can.

Even thought I have the catch can installed, I still get the start-up smoke. I am currently awaiting the warm weather to get here to see if my incline smoking issue has been solved. It was always smoking in 75+ degree weather on incline parking ie; Boat dock/ Parked on driveway at home. In the colder weather it did not do that at all. Just start-up like I said.

I attached a picture of my catch can and the first oil change after installing it. You can see there is a reason to have one. That oil cought has to go somewhere without the can installed right?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/attachm...217_095007.jpg

Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Until I see documented evidence that having a catch can installed offers any significant improvement, I probably won't be wasting my money on one. The way I see it, if it was that big of a deal, they'd have them installed from the factory.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Until I see documented evidence that having a catch can installed offers any significant improvement, I probably won't be wasting my money on one. The way I see it, if it was that big of a deal, they'd have them installed from the factory.

The only thing it does is keep the oil from the breather box and filter. That is how it has been explained to me. I do not believe it but it does collect more oil than I thought it would. They will NEVER put these on from factory.

The only reason I have one is because I asked the owner of the dealer to make Chrysler pay for it. They did not but he did. If he would not have I would not have it on my truck.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM
cbrrider012
Professional

This maybe covered somewhere but I was wondering if anyone is seeing these kind of results with the Pentastar V-6? There are occassions when I start up my D to the sight of a puff of smoke. Has anyone considered or put a catch can on their V-6?

Quick Reply: Catch Can - dumb question