3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Stuck in 4th Gear!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 AM
440sixpack
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Stuck in 4th Gear!

2012 Citadel 5.7 AWD. On the 4th I was sitting in some traffic for a while leaving a fireworks show, and when I finally start going I noticed the Durango was in 4th. I thought I had bumped it into manual somehow, but it wouldn't move out of 4th. So I pulled over and turned it off, same thing. I was able to limp it back to my in-laws house, but in the morning it was the same deal. I dropped it off at the local dealer, and the code it threw indicates it's a shifter solenoid. Anyone hear of this happening before? Hopefully they are able to repair it, but they seem to be hinting at a new tranny. Best part is I was out of town, so I had to leave my dogs and will have to drive 160 miles to go get them tomorrow. At least I got a rental. Thanks Dodge.

I like my Durango in general, but I've had a leaky windshield, had the HDD in the RHR die, and the TPIM/fuse starting issue. Starting to really test my patience...

Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 440sixpack
2012 Citadel 5.7 AWD. On the 4th I was sitting in some traffic for a while leaving a fireworks show, and when I finally start going I noticed the Durango was in 4th. I thought I had bumped it into manual somehow, but it wouldn't move out of 4th. So I pulled over and turned it off, same thing. I was able to limp it back to my in-laws house, but in the morning it was the same deal. I dropped it off at the local dealer, and the code it threw indicates it's a shifter solenoid. Anyone hear of this happening before? Hopefully they are able to repair it, but they seem to be hinting at a new tranny. Best part is I was out of town, so I had to leave my dogs and will have to drive 160 miles to go get them tomorrow. At least I got a rental. Thanks Dodge.

I like my Durango in general, but I've had a leaky windshield, had the HDD in the RHR die, and the TPIM/fuse starting issue. Starting to really test my patience...

I am sorry to hear of the repair issues with your vehicle. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you're still under waranty you're alright I assume. Still, its a PITA.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
440sixpack
Amateur

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
As long as you're still under waranty you're alright I assume. Still, its a PITA.
Yeah, it's only got 18k (and I have the super duper extended warranty, which I figured I'd need).

Old 07-11-2014, 02:27 AM
440sixpack
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I am sorry to hear of the repair issues with your vehicle. Please keep us posted.
Thanks for checking in on this. I picked up the Durango today and all seems to be well. I guess they just replaced the shifter solenoid, and a new transmission wasn't required thankfully. Drove it 160 miles home and it ran fine.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Check the warranty, if your far from home when it breaks down your entitled to some extra $$ benefits I recall.

DC want to comment..

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been fighting the problem since day one on my 11 R/T. My issue was on a cold start, the first start of the day if you put it in drive before it idled down it would show D in the EVIC but would do noting when you hit the gas. Then it would lurch into gear and default to 4th. It would stay there until you shut it off then it would be fine on restart. I could have been more persistent in the fix, but the wife drove it most of the time and the first shift was always into reverse out of the driveway. They replaced the valve body once and a flash the second time. I pick it up tomorrow as they just replaced the TIPM. I HOPE it is fixed for good this time. With that being said I love this vehicle.
Here is a link to my 2012 post.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325987&page=2

Last edited by shelbymopar89; 07-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
440sixpack
Amateur

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
Check the warranty, if your far from home when it breaks down your entitled to some extra $$ benefits I recall.

DC want to comment..
The Dodge dealer in Chico covered the rental luckily, so I was just out gas (round trip from the Bay Area, 300 miles) and time. Think they'll pay me for the PTO I took off work?

The extended warranty mentioned that if you were more than 100 miles from home they'd cover hotels and some other stuff if I recall.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 PM
440sixpack
Amateur

Originally Posted by shelbymopar89
I have been fighting the problem since day one on my 11 R/T. My issue was on a cold start, the first start of the day if you put it in drive before it idled down it would show D in the EVIC but would do noting when you hit the gas. Then it would lurch into gear and default to 4th. It would stay there until you shut it off then it would be fine on restart. I could have been more persistent in the fix, but the wife drove it most of the time and the first shift was always into reverse out of the driveway. They replaced the valve body once and a flash the second time. I pick it up tomorrow as they just replaced the TIPM. I HOPE it is fixed for good this time. With that being said I love this vehicle.
Here is a link to my 2012 post.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...=325987&page=2
Sounds pretty similar, but mine would never leave 4th. It was toast.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for checking in on this. I picked up the Durango today and all seems to be well. I guess they just replaced the shifter solenoid, and a new transmission wasn't required thankfully. Drove it 160 miles home and it ran fine.
Good to hear issue is resolved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th Gear!