3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Jwsadler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering noise

I have a 2012 Citadel HEMI.

Over the last six months my Durango has started exhibiting both a squeaking sound and a metallic clicking sound which seems to come through the steering column. I would also say that there is a lot of suspension noise and harsh feedback coming through the steering when going over bumps. It might be my imagination but the steering seems a little less responsive than when I first had the car.

I live in a rural environment some 20 miles west of Vancouver, BC. The roads where I live are mostly made up but are in some places steep and pitted with bumps and holes. The car exhibits these noises every time I leave home.

I have had the vehicle into the dealership on no less than 8 occasions about this. I have even videoed it and yet they are unable to find anything wrong when they test it. I have even taken the engineer in the car who heard the noise, but was then unable to find anything.

My concern is that this is the beginning of a serious issue and with all the steep drops and twisting roads I'm afraid of the steering failing completely.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on how I can get them to do more than just do a road test? Any thoughts on what I could look for?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Fullslp
Captain

I would not worry about the steering failing it just doesn't happen that way. You may lose power assist but then you will know where your problem is. I was just up there in BC and the roads aren't that great. I would imagine that the problem will only continue to get worse until it reveals itself. If it was my vehicle I would swap out power steering fluid and get the truck off the ground listening everywhere with a automotive stethoscope. You will be able to determine if the noise is coming from the pump. If not it may be in the suspension, drivetrain(AWD) or wheel bearings. Lots of things can cause noise and vibration.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Jwsadler

Thanks Fullslp that all makes sense.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:04 PM
J6L
Rookie
Default front end noise

Another possibility might be the control/sway arm struts. I only say that due to a problem I had when I first purchased my 2001 Gran Caravan. This was the first year of an updated body design change. With this new design came a couple of issues, one being the long control arm struts. From what I remember, the type of rubber bushing material was inferior and would not last, especially on a vehicle that was front end heavy. I can remember shortly after buying this van new, I was subjected to a constant squeaky clucking noise. I brought it to the dealership and the struts were replaced. The front end would stay quiet for approx 3 to 4 months and once again back to the dealership for replacement. I must of had these struts replaced at least a couple of times before the modified struts from Chrysler were ready put on. Once the new modified struts were put on, the front noise and clunking stopped for good. I drove this van for over 150,000 miles and decided to trade it in for a 2012 Durango.
I noticed on our 3rd gen Durango there are similar smaller struts, which are about 5 to 6 inches long. But based on what you describe, I'm not really sure these are the source of your noise issues. I only wanted to give you another possibility for the dealer to look into when you go. Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Auggie360
Amateur

OK, one more time! Have the dealer read Service Bulletin #17-002-14 and install Shock Mounting Bracket Kit #6852113AA.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Jwsadler

Originally Posted by Auggie360
OK, one more time! Have the dealer read Service Bulletin #17-002-14 and install Shock Mounting Bracket Kit #6852113AA.
Does this apply to a 2012 Durango? Service bulletin says 2014:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700214.pdf

Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Auggie360
Amateur

Yah I know but my 2012 has that clunk at the rear when driving slow over bumps but I would be willing to bet that the 2011 to 2014's have the same shock mountings but I am not sure. Maybe someone could order a kit?

Quick Reply: Steering noise