3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

E85 fuel mileage test

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
cpcordell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 fuel mileage test

I frequently visit Lake Tahoe CA from Los Angeles and yesterday on the way back, I noticed low gas prices next to the fairly new Walmart at Gardnerville, NV (off the 395). They had E85 for $3.49 which is less than any regular gas in the area I had seen so I decided to try it on a low tank on the way back to LA. I remember reading how E85 has less energy potential and yields lower MPG but I decided to test it.

Normally, this leg of the return trip provides about 26.0-26.5 overall MPG with my driving style, etc. The Durango has always been exceptional on fuel use especially versus my (lemon) Acadia.
Before resetting Trip A, I was at 26.6MPG using regular unleaded gasoline.

I noticed a few things within the first thirty minutes after we left the station. First, the MPG was already lower than normal and the engine temperature reading was less than normal too (even though it was near 90 outside).

Since I did not buy a race car and have the V6 I don't care about performance beyond the ability to travel (I had an SRT-4 and I got my kicks already) I did not rate it on performance but it seemed similar to regular gas but it is reported that E85 has higher octane.

Upon arrival the average was a measly 20.5 MPG (400 miles) which is about what articles have reported (percentage wise) using E85 vs. regular gas.
For the few pennies difference in price per gallon, this was no deal. Given these results, I would not buy E85 again unless the price was at least 22% under that of regular gas to make it equal given the lower MPG.
According to Wikipedia there are claims that engines can yield higher MPG using E85 but that current engines (Flex Fuel) are not setup as such.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

About the only advantage to E85 right now is that it helps decrease oil imports. The engine running cooler can quickly foul the plugs if the vehicle is not run long enough, so you would not want to use it in a start/stop situation such as in a delivery, security, or police vehicle.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default e85

I got about 25% decrease in MPG with e85 in my 2012 v6 awd D.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM
cpcordell

I suppose it is good to know that there are fuel alternatives unlike in the Mad Max Road Warrior movie scenario.
I am trying to get the last of this tank emptied and it's pretty easy around town with this E85 as I am edging close to single digits for MPG.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Ethanol is one of the biggest scams pulled on the American people right up there with "If you like your insurance and doctor, you can keep your insurance and doctor....period."

Marty

Old 09-03-2014, 11:17 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shelbyguy
Ethanol is one of the biggest scams pulled on the American people right up there with "If you like your insurance and doctor, you can keep your insurance and doctor....period."

Marty
Not a scam - just a bad idea to try to run E85 in a "Flex" vehicle that is primarily designed to run gasoline. Supposedly, efficiency is much better if a vehicle is set up to exclusively run E85. I like the idea of reducing oil imports, and that is being accomplished with improved overall efficiency, alternative fuels, increased domestic oil, and a drop in miles driven (by younger generation). I believe that 20% Ethanol should replace 10%, rather than pushing E85. It shouldn't exhibit the poor mileage and fouling of E85, and would help cut oil imports.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:23 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

I had an MDX when Florida started using E10 and my computer calculated mileage dropped from 17.5 (2 years consistent) to 15.5 with the first tank and never got any better. What good is replacing 10% of the oil based fuel if your mileage drops 15%

On the other hand E85 makes great race gas for a track car allowing much more aggressive tuning and cooler operating temps.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur

I would not put E85 in my car even if I were saving a few $$ per tank. Sometimes I buy E-free at the co-op and run it through.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Not a scam - just a bad idea to try to run E85 in a "Flex" vehicle that is primarily designed to run gasoline. Supposedly, efficiency is much better if a vehicle is set up to exclusively run E85. I like the idea of reducing oil imports, and that is being accomplished with improved overall efficiency, alternative fuels, increased domestic oil, and a drop in miles driven (by younger generation). I believe that 20% Ethanol should replace 10%, rather than pushing E85. It shouldn't exhibit the poor mileage and fouling of E85, and would help cut oil imports.

Couldn't disagree more. Ethanol costs consumers millions of dollars each year for engine repairs(especially small engines), does absolutely nothing to reduce CO2 emissions, reduces fuel mileage, increases the cost of gasoline because of the government mandates that the fuel companies have to pay which they pass on to the consumer, causes food prices to rise and the list goes on. Just type in a google search for ethanol and scam and you'll get more hits from the political left leaning sources(who you would think would be all for renewable energy) than the right. It is absolutely a scam because there is absolutely no benefit to the end user, only the industries, politicians, and lobbyists who forced this crap into our fuel tanks.

Marty

Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 AM
TNDurangoNow
Amateur

Ethanol is nothing more than a government subsidy program. Just what we need in this country more subsidies! Everything the government touches turns out bad and cost you more money $$$

Quick Reply: E85 fuel mileage test