3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

TIPM Recall Coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 PM
bakmkrjlms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBenz94
Ours is in the shop for this right now. Left us stranded last night in the rain. Had it towed to a dealer 1 and 1/2 hours away from our home. Waiting for the call from the service department.

Chris

Got the call back, it is the TIPM, 963.04 installed. Service adviser is not aware of the above posted recall so I'm going to see what I can do on my end with Chrysler direct.

Chris
Did you have any luck with Chrysler direct? As my 2011 durango goes in Wednesday for this and I am trying to figure out if I even want to keep this car!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...WT.mc_id=k9j7r

Looks like it may have started dated 9/9/14

Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...WT.mc_id=k9j7r

Looks like it may have started dated 9/9/14

They sold 18,000 2011 Grand Cherokees in Canada ? That's a surprise.

It's still not showing up in my information or under the Canadian or Global recalls. I bet they're not ready.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-20-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
http://searchable.openedhost.com/loo...zaHRtbA==_blog

All who had an issue should file, scroll to bottom of page. this is what it took the D2 owners to get the Gas splash back /new fuel tank issue resolved. But then we all had terrible rust below the filler neck that they didn't want to hear about, claimed it was "collateral" damage.

Thanks for the link, Mike.
I filled it out in about 5 minutes and filed it and got a confirmation back in about 3 minutes. It was a piece of cake. So easy in fact, it's hard to believe the U.S. government actually made something that easy. I was expecting a form way too long and questions way too difficult. What a pleasant surprise. :-)

Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by bakmkrjlms
Did you have any luck with Chrysler direct? As my 2011 durango goes in Wednesday for this and I am trying to figure out if I even want to keep this car!

No luck. We have 73k miles on ours and Chrysler said "too bad". But now that it's official, we will at least get our money back.

Chris

Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM
IEWRX
Professional

It is in the media....

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/09/20...y-189000-suvs/

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/La...ls-be-included

Seems they are not including all the effected vehicles yet though. However I am hoping for my $100 deductable back.

This issue is part of the reason I did not get another D. I had the TIPM replaced just before they went on back order and when I got rid of it it was stalling while driving....

Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 PM
TampaBrett

How could they not include 2012? Mine is sitting at a dealer right now waiting for the part.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by TampaBrett
How could they not include 2012? Mine is sitting at a dealer right now waiting for the part.
Probably doing the recall in phases, starting with the older ones, so they don't create a parts shortage. I'm hoping they are forced to replace the TIPM instead of being allowed to just rig an external fuel pump relay, since there have been allegations of problems other than just the fuel pump. If the TIPM has failed, then the external relay work-around won't work and they'll need to replace the TIPM, and the new TIPM may not require an external relay if they've beefed up the internal relay.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 AM
TampaBrett

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Probably doing the recall in phases, starting with the older ones, so they don't create a parts shortage. I'm hoping they are forced to replace the TIPM instead of being allowed to just rig an external fuel pump relay, since there have been allegations of problems other than just the fuel pump. If the TIPM has failed, then the external relay work-around won't work and they'll need to replace the TIPM, and the new TIPM may not require an external relay if they've beefed up the internal relay.
I hope you're right cause I would like my money back . I bet they make that process quite annoying for the 2011 owners.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 AM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

Mine would crank but not start on the first attempt every couple weeks, then weekly until recently it would not start at all unless I used the remote start button from outside the vehicle. The dealer installed an external relay harness yesterday for $300 out of pocket. I am out of factory warranty and this was not covered by the extended that I had bought? It was late when I picked it up last night so I figured I will look into it today and argue if I have a case. Should have just argued last night as it took 20 actual minutes for them to find a driver to bring my car up to the service area!

Code is 70790: fuel pump not being activated by TIMP

Last edited by ///AMG Hauler; 09-30-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: TIPM Recall Coming