3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Leaking rear shock (load leveling)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Didhefocus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking rear shock (load leveling)

Hi all,
Am the original owner of a 2011 Crew with the towing package and only 5800 miles. I have heard of the rear shock clunking issue on this forum but the noise I heard on mine didn't seem serious enough to take in. I also never noticed any load leveling action especially when towing my 22' travel trailer. It sagged with the trailer hooked up and stayed that way with oncoming trucks flashing me thinking my high beams were on. I thought I'd crawl under and see if I really have the load levelers. They seem like the real thing with Sachs written on the sticker on the shocks (p/n68039560AA).
I then noticed the right rear shock was wet with oil from under the splash guard. I took it in to Sacramento CDJR, I also mentioned the clunking noise. They verified the leaker and said that they will order and replace only the one leaky shock, NOT both. I argued with them about that, but to no avail! My Idea is that from reading this forum, I know that there have been 3 or 4 versions of this shock and mine are the original. The new ones will likely be improved and possibly have different damping characteristics. I later re-read the TSB for the clunking noise and it states "NOTE: The left and right rear shock absorbers must be replaced at the same time. Failure to follow this process will result in an adverse condition.. I figure that the same should apply in this situation, especially since the new shocks are NOT identical to the old ones, and besides I did complain of the clunking noise and was verified by test drive. The tech said he wanted to replace the leaking shock first to see if the noise goes away.

My question is am I right for insisting on replacing BOTH shocks?
Hopefully "DodgeCares" can chime in here!

Thanks

Last edited by Didhefocus; 09-25-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Didhefocus
Professional

Well as usual nobody chimed in on my question. I guess I'll have to answer it myself.
After my situation at the dealer, I called Chrysler Customer Care. They heard my side and while on hold called the service writer to verify. Next he told me that my case will be escalated and I'll get a call back the next day. As promised I got a call from the level 2 rep and she said that they are ordering both shocks and she'll call me back on monday to give me an ETA. I got the ETA on monday. The AH version shocks arrived yesterday and I got them installed today! The ride is now noticeably firmer and more controlled. Hopefully the new firmness lasts and isn't just because the shocks are brand new.

Back to my question, the answer is... YES, I'm correct on insisting on replacing shocks and struts in pairs.

Thanks.

Last edited by Didhefocus; 10-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry no one chimed in. I agree, you got it right

Old 10-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Didhefocus
Professional

Thanks

Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 PM
SlvrSnake
Rookie

As was stated, sorry you did not get a reply. However, you knew what to do and were dead on right in your assertions. You never replace just one shock. That is just stupid. That is like replacing one rotor and set of pads when doing brakes.

Sorry, nobody gave you the assertion you were looking for but good job in getting on Chrysler's *** about the dealer trying to be lazy.

Point is when you know you are right, don't be hesitant about voicing your concerns.

Quick Reply: Leaking rear shock (load leveling)