3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

How good is the Durango AWD system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekoning
Underpinnings are most certainly NOT the same.
There are a lot of common parts. Different transfer case options amd available true air ride on the Jeep
STEVE

Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by shadwell1020
I don't understand why all the car company's ditched regular 4x4 in favor of "AWD". Let's face it...it's not as good as a 4x4 truck or Jeep in any weather. Yes, it's probably better than 2WD, and it probably performs pretty well on moderately snowy, flat roads....but I doubt AWD holds a candle to the others in deep snow and or hills.

I currently have a Grand Caravan and it's mostly hills where I live, and harsh winters, so I'm a bit concerned...which is why I asked about the Durango AWD, but in my opinion, my GC with snow tires will be just as a good as the AWD Durango with OEM tires.

I mean, if you COULD choose regular 4x4 with a Hi and Lo option, or AWD, wouldn't you prefer 4x4?
You only need three letters to explain this: M-P-G. No one really needs a low range option anymore, and mpg is greatly improved without it. That's the target manufacturers need to meet. AWD is good enough for most all of us, and those that still need a low-range option, also need more clearance, and there are options out there for them to deal with those unique situations.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 AM
supertech30

Guy's the terms AWD and 4X4 really don't mean anything any more haven't for years. Back in the day if you had a 4x4 it had a real heavy duty transfer case and awd was a cheaper transmission gearbox setup that just supplied a small fraction of the power to the other set of wheels. Know days manufactures use both terms for the same setups. The Jeep with Quada trac II which my 2014 Jeep overland had, has the same transfer case and front and rear diff's that my 2014 rt has only difference is the cheesy preset software preset modes hardware was all the same and the Durango is more stable in the snow because of the longer wheelbase, but the jeep is marked 4x4 and the D's maked AWD. See my point.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by supertech30
Guy's the terms AWD and 4X4 really don't mean anything any more haven't for years. Back in the day if you had a 4x4 it had a real heavy duty transfer case and awd was a cheaper transmission gearbox setup that just supplied a small fraction of the power to the other set of wheels. Know days manufactures use both terms for the same setups. The Jeep with Quada trac II which my 2014 Jeep overland had, has the same transfer case and front and rear diff's that my 2014 rt has only difference is the cheesy preset software preset modes hardware was all the same and the Durango is more stable in the snow because of the longer wheelbase, but the jeep is marked 4x4 and the D's maked AWD. See my point.
MP3023 on the Jeep, MP 3022 on the Dodge. The same?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 AM
supertech30

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
MP3023 on the Jeep, MP 3022 on the Dodge. The same?
Looking at my build sheet for my dodge the code DKAS for transfer case comes up in jeep pages as Quada Trac II which is what my jeep had in it. Allpar also lists my jeep with the Quada Trac II using the MP3022 case see here http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/spec...rand-2014.html

I wish I had a build sheet for the jeep. I am sure they are functionally the same case if not exactly the same.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time driving in the snow this year
but then when i obviously went to do a drift around some back road corner, its just ugly sounds from the front axle engaging more power trying to regain traction, do these Durangos have a stability or some other type of traction system which remains on even with the traction button off?

ughhh how i wish the gen 3 had 4x4 selectable to 2x4(rwd). that would be some much more fun!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Fullslp
Captain

First time driving in the snow this year
but then when i obviously went to do a drift around some back road corner, its just ugly sounds from the front axle engaging more power trying to regain traction, do these Durangos have a stability or some other type of traction system which remains on even with the traction button off?

ughhh how i wish the gen 3 had 4x4 selectable to 2x4(rwd). that would be some much more fun!

Brake based Torque Vectoring. It will continue to apply brakes to one or both front tires as they slip including completely cutting all usable power to the front axle if nessesary. And unfortunately you can't shut it off. You big tire boys will notice this more than us big rim boys since your breakaway traction will be more pronounced on the much larger diameter tire. LOCKING DIFFS ANYONE?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Thekoning
Professional

good info thanks fullslp.
really too bad this cant be turned off

Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM
coldsteel
Captain

good info thanks fullslp.
really too bad this cant be turned off
There's probably a fuse for that.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Thekoning
Professional

Originally Posted by coldsteel
There's probably a fuse for that.
These truck have like no fuses, all TIPM. I was looking for a fuse for the highbeams and drl's at one point but had no luck.
but yes possibly...

Quick Reply: How good is the Durango AWD system?