3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Durango starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 PM
ErickOwens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Durango starting issues

Video of issue
The youtube link is from my 2012 Durango, 3.6L V6 Crew. We took it into the dealer when it was under the bumper to bumper 36k warranty they said it was to do with the security system and key fobs. It stopped acting up and then shortly after we rolled over to 38k problem returned every now and then. We have had battery and alternator tested both are great. Run injector/fuel system cleaner religiously as well as routine oil changes. I am the original owner bought it with 12 miles on the odo.

Called Frontier Dodge Service department here in Lubbock spoke to the service rep he said that the truck doesn't fall under any recalls, Mfg. date is Jan 28 2012.

It has 42K on the odometer. no other issues. Seems like it happens more of an issue first run of the morning or in the cold.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 AM
wildspeed
Professional

Make search for TIPM.

Also sticky on the top of the page.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ll-coming.html

Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Claus Graf
Rookie
Default Tipm

I think it is the TIPM.

Regards

Claus Graf

Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

X3 Tipm Fuel pump relay failure

Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie

Thanks for sharing your video, now I know how it looks like when the TIPM issue manifests itself.
I have your same car and engine, but luckily no TIPM issue, so far...

Last edited by nicola.dinisio; 11-24-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 AM
ErickOwens

Called dealer they stated my VIN was not affected by the recall (P54) fuel pump relay. Looks like mine is coming out my own pocket. Anyone know how hard or how easy it is to change the relay? How much money are we talking?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Don't bother with the bypass as your 2012 will become eligible eventually. Have the dealer replace the unit $1000 and contact dodge cares. My buds 2011 D was on the recall list AFTER the dealer replaced his and he was eventually re-embersed. It's sad that a yugo with bad points will start faster than a modern Durango with this TIPM relay problem.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by ErickOwens
Called dealer they stated my VIN was not affected by the recall (P54) fuel pump relay. Looks like mine is coming out my own pocket. Anyone know how hard or how easy it is to change the relay? How much money are we talking?
You can't change the relay as it is integral with the TIPM. Chrysler is either being stingy and only doing the recall as required, or a more positive view is that they are doing it in stages. If yours is workable for a few months as is, you could tough it out until the recall expands to include your vehicle. If it doesn't last, then as the other poster said, have it replaced (if they can get one), log a call with Chrysler, and hope for a refund later. There is speculation, but no proof, that the replacements have sturdier relays.

Another alternative since yours has not totally failed is a work-around where the internal relay is connected to an external relay. This fix came out from Chrysler and may get you by for a while though I would not accept it as a permanent solution. If yours fails completely, then the work around will no longer help.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

Hi all,
Just wanted to report that I had 2 separate no starts over the last 30 days, 2012-Citadel-AWD-Hemi-32k miles, Mfr date May 12th, owned since new. 1st episode it sputtered and died, then started right up. A couple weeks after the 1st time it only turned over, then started right up. After each time there were no lights and no other issues so I did not take it in. Today I dropped it off at 7:45am for oil change, and I mentioned it to the "express lane" check in person, expecting nothing to be done about it. To my surprise when I picked it up after lunch the paper work they gave me reads-
"Cust said at times wont start, let sit and try again and will start" "Cause:08906537 Wiring harness, engine compartment - Test and replace fuel pump relay control circuit overlay harness" 2208 WC 1 CBP4P541AB wiring, Claim type: W
"32158 found star case for no start issue, installed fuel pump overlay harness per star case."

No major issues to date and we have been extremely happy with the Durango, hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: 2012 Durango starting issues