3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

5.7 T-Stat

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:15 PM
2011CrewLuxSC
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seriously?

Fullslp, not that i'm doubting you. but you know how long I've heard about fail open t-stats?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM
2011CrewLuxSC
Rookie

so... I went online to HHP to buy one just now. I had looked at it earlier.

I swear it was $26.95 earlier today and now its $31.95. does the price at HHP fluctuate with availability?

http://www.highhorseperformance.com/...10183-usps.htm

Old 01-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by 2011CrewLuxSC
seriously?

Fullslp, not that i'm doubting you. but you know how long I've heard about fail open t-stats?
No worries. My perspective is that regular or "fail safe" stats can both have spring/ piston failure at any time. There is no advantage in piston failure with either design since this is the mechanism that counteracts the spring pressure holding the stat closed. Motorad, the most popular fail safe claims there stats piston will fully engage during a failure but the problem with this is that it's a Tempurature engaged failure mechanism. That means if ANYTHING in your system causes your engine to run in an over temp condition the stat will lock open permanently. Now you must replace it along with whatever caused the over temp condition. So if your radiator springs a leak and your engine temps go up both stats will be open all the way but you won't be replacing the traditional stat as it will go back to normal operation. The fail safe is " locked open" and now must be replaced. Both protected equally as they were both fully open. If the springs break the stat will be stuck open and if the piston breaks the spring pressure will hold it closed. does that make sense, I just woke up from a nap lol

Last edited by Fullslp; 01-18-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:15 PM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

What about the CST thermostat sold by HemiFever? Any input?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by NJMoparDad
What about the CST thermostat sold by HemiFever? Any input?
As far as I understand HemiFevers thermostat is the same motorad high flow stat that Jet uses and it is a standard non fail safe unit.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

Does it fit without modification?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by NJMoparDad
Does it fit without modification?
Yep. It does.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM
raiderluvr
Default recommended re-calibrated cooling fan settings necessary?

Hi guys,

long time reader of the forum and first time poster. I bought one of the 180 degree t-stats from highhorseperformance a while back and have yet to install it. Is it necessary to adjust the cooling fans settings as recommended by them? It would seem counter productive. Lower the t-stat temp. (180) and raise the cooling fan temperature parameters.?. With the stock settings in the ecu set for the higher coolant temps of the stock t-stat, why would the fans constantly run with the lower temps provided by the 180 Stat?

TIA, John in Connecticut 2013 Citadel Hemi running the Hypertech and a Volant CAI

Keep up the good work everybody!

Copied from their site:

RECOMMENDED FAN SETTINGS FOR USE WITH THE DIABLO TUNING:

In order to take full advantage of your HHP 180 degree thermostat, on applicable vehicles with adjustable fan settings, we recommend the following fan temperature adjustments on your Diablosport tuner. Set All 9 Fan Settings (both Air Condition On and AC Off) to:

All HS (High Speed) Fan Settings to 194 Degrees
All LS (Low Speed) Fan Settings to 189 Degrees
All MS (Med. Speed) Fan Settings to 192 Degrees

*Failure to set your fan settings at these higher temps will result in your fans constantly running and can cause your fan motors to burn out prematurely.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by raiderluvr

In order to take full advantage of your HHP 180 degree thermostat, on applicable vehicles with adjustable fan settings, we recommend the following fan temperature adjustments on your Diablosport tuner. Set All 9 Fan Settings (both Air Condition On and AC Off) to:

All HS (High Speed) Fan Settings to 194 Degrees
All LS (Low Speed) Fan Settings to 189 Degrees
All MS (Med. Speed) Fan Settings to 192 Degrees

*Failure to set your fan settings at these higher temps will result in your fans constantly running and can cause your fan motors to burn out prematurely.

Welcome and great question for your first post.
When they are telling you to tune your fan temps higher they are not talking about raising them from the stock fan temp of 205-208 degrees they mean higher than the temperature rating of the thermostat. Most street stats are static, meaning they begin to open at their rated temperature (the unit you have) as opposed to a dynamic or race unit that is fully open at its rated temp. You wouldn't want your fans coming on at 180 degrees because the stat is just starting to open at this temp and isn't fully open until 193-195 degrees. So your fan effectively started 15 degrees before your stat was open and will continue to run as you will never run under 180 degrees except during a warm up cycle. That's how you will wear out the fan over time.

And yes you can install your thermostat without a tune as the motor will run cooler when the vehicle is hwy cruising but will eventually climb up to 220-225 in traffic......unless you keep your AC on as this will set the fans medium speed setting keeping you around 196-200 with mine anyway. I no longer run the heat soak inducing 225 with my 185 stat and no fan settings adjusted.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

Thanks for the info!

My next question is about setting the fan temps. I plan on buying the t-stat and Diablo Tuner from Hemi Fever this month. Will Sean set that in his tune or do I have to buy the more expensive tuner and set it myself?

Quick Reply: 5.7 T-Stat