3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

5.7 T-Stat

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Crankshaft57
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fullslp, I have checked many stats and they all seem to start opening 10 deg. before they are fully open. In other words a 180 deg stat will be fully open at 180 deg ?? I put them in a pan of water with a digital temp gauge and watch for the first movement. Are not all stats rated the same??

Auggie

Old 01-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by NJMoparDad
Thanks for the info!

My next question is about setting the fan temps. I plan on buying the t-stat and Diablo Tuner from Hemi Fever this month. Will Sean set that in his tune or do I have to buy the more expensive tuner and set it myself?
Get with Sean on that. Not sure if he is selling the Diablo without his tune. Otherwise just list your mods and he will have it set up for you. Also maybe Steve can chime in to see if these guys have the issue with the fans not engaging when in park on the Diablo as that was a previous problem although not a huge deal.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by Crankshaft57
Fullslp, I have checked many stats and they all seem to start opening 10 deg. before they are fully open. In other words a 180 deg stat will be fully open at 180 deg ?? I put them in a pan of water with a digital temp gauge and watch for the first movement. Are not all stats rated the same??

Auggie
Hey Auggie, yes I've experienced this on some stats as well especially the GM LS. And LT stats where they begin opening sooner like a full race stat. I've even tested 2 identical stats for my LT1 Camaro from jet and one was fully open by 158 and the other identical 160 wasn't fully open until 173. Curious if you've tested any current thermostats from motorad whom just about everyone has contracted to make versions for them. My Murry unit made by motor rad is s 185 and is fully open by 190 and my bros 180 Hypertech also made by motorad fully open at 196.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Fullslp
Captain

For reference Here is a blip from Stants website on when their thermostats open and hypertech quotes the same thing.

WHEN DOES A THERMOSTAT START TO OPEN?
The thermostat starts to open at the rated temperature, plus or minus 2 degrees (F).

WHEN IS A THERMOSTAT FULLY OPEN?
The thermostat is usually fully opened at 15 - 20 degrees (F) above the opening temperature.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:59 AM
raiderluvr
Default Water Wetter - Purple Ice etc...

Thanks Fullslp for your nice reply and explanation of fan temps!

changing the subject a bit, I haven't seen anybody mention these wetting agents... redline water wetter and royal purple purple ice to name a few that reduce surface tension of the water in the coolant, giving it more surface area in the cooling system,which in turn improve heat transfer,also, most contain some sort of corrosion inhibitor and additives to increase the lubricity of the coolant to save water pumps. you get the most benefit with these products running them with straight water which of course is not practical for most of us. the directions on the bottle show that you can mix with your antifreeze with a reduction in benefits.

It's funny though, how they market these products. they state something like it reduces coolant temps by up to 30 degrees! very deceiving. Your actual coolant temp will not change because of the function of the tstat. it makes the cooling system more efficient between all engine internals touching coolant and radiator function . I've read on other forums that people running these products notice that in traffic or stopped the fans definitely aren't running as much. Thoughts?

Ps... i forgot to mention in my previous post that i also through on a set of the gibson slip on mufflers. LOL

Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by raiderluvr
Thanks Fullslp for your nice reply and explanation of fan temps!

changing the subject a bit, I haven't seen anybody mention these wetting agents... redline water wetter and royal purple purple ice to name a few that reduce surface tension of the water in the coolant, giving it more surface area in the cooling system,which in turn improve heat transfer,also, most contain some sort of corrosion inhibitor and additives to increase the lubricity of the coolant to save water pumps. you get the most benefit with these products running them with straight water which of course is not practical for most of us. the directions on the bottle show that you can mix with your antifreeze with a reduction in benefits.

It's funny though, how they market these products. they state something like it reduces coolant temps by up to 30 degrees! very deceiving. Your actual coolant temp will not change because of the function of the tstat. it makes the cooling system more efficient between all engine internals touching coolant and radiator function . I've read on other forums that people running these products notice that in traffic or stopped the fans definitely aren't running as much. Thoughts?

Ps... i forgot to mention in my previous post that i also through on a set of the gibson slip on mufflers. LOL
Almost sounds like your a roving salesman for theses products, huh. Jk
You are absolutely correct in that they cannot supersede the mechanical function of your cooling system and their claim of 20-30 degrees is really only possible by adding a lower temp thermostat and adjusting fan in temps. I use a mixture of 90/10 distilled water and water wetter in my camaro with fan temps adj. and a 160 stat with amazing results in cooling Effenciency and the speed in cooling the system down quickly from a hard couple of passes at the track on a hot day. However i can never drive the car in freezing temps which doesn't matter because my race tires would kill me as I slide right of the road. I run 1 bottle in my Durango mixed with the stock propylene glycol based coolant and water mix. So I'm good with the snowboarding trips with no worries.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

Changed my t-stat in minutes with no issues. I ended up buying it from Hemi Fever when I ordered my Diablo. Sean changed my fan settings with his tune and everything works perfectly. Running much cooler according to the EVIC and the tune is SWEET!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Changed my t-stat in minutes with no issues. I ended up buying it from Hemi Fever when I ordered my Diablo. Sean changed my fan settings with his tune and everything works perfectly. Running much cooler according to the EVIC and the tune is SWEET!
Ya buddy.... Good job. Just a quick question. Was Sean able to fix the issue with the fans not coming on before 210 degrees when in park with NO AC ON?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Ya buddy.... Good job. Just a quick question. Was Sean able to fix the issue with the fans not coming on before 210 degrees when in park with NO AC ON?
I have no idea lol. That type of stuff is above my ability when it comes to cars.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Fullslp
Captain

I have no idea lol. That type of stuff is above my ability when it comes to cars.
No worries, just check your temp next time you are in slow traffic or in a drive through to make sure your temps are staying below 205 degrees. The fans at low/no speed should be coming on keeping you at or under 200. For some reason the initial tunes released were only lowering the fan ON temps while the vehicle was moving and would function as stock when you were parked. Aka 220-225 degrees

Quick Reply: 5.7 T-Stat