3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

AWD Neutral Button Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM
hemismith
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Neutral Button Stuck

My AWD Neutral button is stuck and flashing. I have the older model with the large rectangular button. It appears something spilled and gunked it up. Sounds like it didn't take Dodge long to realize it was a bad design.

I was able to loosen it up with some solvent and a razor blade, but it still won't release. Does anyone know if the small square panel with the button and the awd **** can be popped out of the console, or if the whole console has to be removed?

It appears to drive fine and I assume the awd functions normally so I it's just an annoyance. I think I can probably switch in and out of neutral anyway if I wanted to but I have no need and they recommend towing with a flatbed anyway.

Some solutions talked about resetting it but I don't think that will help when the button is physically stuck. In theory perhaps I could disconnect a wire from the button but not sure if that's really possible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Wow dude this sucks. The flashing is indicating that the transfer case is in the process of shifting. First thing I would try is actually pressing the button as the actuator may have not fully engaged or disengage. If this doesn't work I would unhook the battery for 30 min and see if the light returns. Someone else has had this problem and I believe it was a faulty electronic transfer case shift solenoid. You prob out of warranty so I hope someone chimes in with other thoughts to help you out man.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Thanks, yeah, it's out of warranty so hoping to fix it myself. The problem is the button must have gotten pressed accidentally, as it is recessed but won't do anything when I press it.

If I unhook the battery do I need to enter a radio code or anything like that?

When did they change the design? I'm surprised the online 2011 manual has the new design; I would have only expected a change in the next model year. I assume the procedure is the same as the new one and that's why it hasn't actually shifted yet. Since the button seems to be permanently pressed I'm not sure disconnecting the battery will help. If I could find the wire to the switch I'd just disconnect that.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Good news. The plate with the switches pops right out. Take off the back with the circuit board and the switch falls out. It's a momentary switch driven solely by the (white) button on the circuit board, so it doesn't have a lot of spring.

It had some white grease on it so I cleaned it and regreased it and put it back in, but it was still pretty tight and rough feeling. So I sanded the sides briefly with some 800 grit sandpaper and it went in smoother than butter. But it was still stiff, so I took off the grease again and now it's smooth and easy as can be. The only drawback is the grease probably would provide some measure of protection from the "elements", although originally it was only on the ends.

So works great now. Not sure why they made it so tight, or why they put grease on it. Almost as easy to fix as bolting on a supercharger.

Switch housing on its side.

Disassembled. The small white button in the top right is the neutral button. The plastic piece in the middle is the main button.

Last edited by hemismith; 12-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Sweet bro. So glad you dug into it and got that sucker fixed. As a bonus you just helped a bunch more owners in the future. There hasn't been a lot of R&R on this ride yet so it will be nice when we get these fixes corralated. A big thanks

Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Waynead
Veteran

That happened to mine while on warranty. They replaced it with an updated one. You need to use a pen point to depress the switch. Bonus: It gives you an extra storage spot.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Sweet bro. So glad you dug into it and got that sucker fixed. As a bonus you just helped a bunch more owners in the future. There hasn't been a lot of R&R on this ride yet so it will be nice when we get these fixes corralated. A big thanks
Thanks and you're welcome! Not much but hopefully it might help someone someday.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by Waynead
That happened to mine while on warranty. They replaced it with an updated one. You need to use a pen point to depress the switch. Bonus: It gives you an extra storage spot.
Interesting, didn't know that was possible. I'll have to see how hard that is.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Weinbergla

Originally Posted by hemismith
Good news. The plate with the switches pops right out. Take off the back with the circuit board and the switch falls out. It's a momentary switch driven solely by the (white) button on the circuit board, so it doesn't have a lot of spring.

It had some white grease on it so I cleaned it and regreased it and put it back in, but it was still pretty tight and rough feeling. So I sanded the sides briefly with some 800 grit sandpaper and it went in smoother than butter. But it was still stiff, so I took off the grease again and now it's smooth and easy as can be. The only drawback is the grease probably would provide some measure of protection from the "elements", although originally it was only on the ends.

So works great now. Not sure why they made it so tight, or why they put grease on it. Almost as easy to fix as bolting on a supercharger.

Switch housing on its side.

Disassembled. The small white button in the top right is the neutral button. The plastic piece in the middle is the main button.
Can someone tell me how to take this switch housing off? I am a non mechanical female stuck with this truck 400 miles from home and dodge won’t even look at it for 2 weeks. Please help!!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:19 AM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by Weinbergla
Can someone tell me how to take this switch housing off? I am a non mechanical female stuck with this truck 400 miles from home and dodge won’t even look at it for 2 weeks. Please help!!
I unfortunately don't remember what I used to pry it up, and it was a little difficult at first. But just try with a small screwdriver or nail file in the groove around all the edges and eventually it will start to pop out.

Quick Reply: AWD Neutral Button Stuck