3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

NAG1 Transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 AM
gregaperkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NAG1 Transmission trouble

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me understand if my transmission trouble is a known fault with a known fix, or something that needs more investigation. I love that vehicle, but the transmission is not spoiling the party. Here are the details... Many thanks in advance.

Dodge Durango 2012 3.6 Pentastar with NAG1 Transmission

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

There is a violent shunt when shifting under medium to hard acceleration. This applies to both kickdown and upshift. Mostly 3rd to 4th. Shunt is so hard it feels like the transmission will break, and the car physically lurches.

Also, usually resulting from the first problem, the car is occasionally stuck in a high gear and will not shift to first or second. This makes it difficult and slow to pull away after stopping in traffic. Also, the 'manual' gear selector will not work during this fault. The fault only resets after selecting reverse and then back to drive.

On one occasion, the transmission dropped out of gear at 100kph would not select another. During this time, with constant throttle input, the engine rpm varied between approximately 2000 and 4000rpm. I had to pull over to the side of the road. The fault only cleared after shutting off the engine and starting it again.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM
redalty
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure here but might want to call dealer and verify it's the NAG1. The Hemi Durango shares the 65RFE with the trucks.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Fullslp
Captain

The nag1 is extremely sensitive to fluid quality and level. The servo inside is computer controlled and will always try to correct an error in line pressure causing erratic behavior. Change your fluid and filter if you haven't already. Could really be a number of issues, from valve body, to servo to clutch packs. Find a good transmission shop. Not amco or trannys R' Us, lol

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Dont google Tranny's R US either that will give you more trouble than your NAG1 could ever give you
I believe its a 654RFE as well
STEVE

Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gregaperkin
I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me understand if my transmission trouble is a known fault with a known fix, or something that needs more investigation. I love that vehicle, but the transmission is not spoiling the party. Here are the details... Many thanks in advance.

Dodge Durango 2012 3.6 Pentastar with NAG1 Transmission

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

There is a violent shunt when shifting under medium to hard acceleration. This applies to both kickdown and upshift. Mostly 3rd to 4th. Shunt is so hard it feels like the transmission will break, and the car physically lurches.

Also, usually resulting from the first problem, the car is occasionally stuck in a high gear and will not shift to first or second. This makes it difficult and slow to pull away after stopping in traffic. Also, the 'manual' gear selector will not work during this fault. The fault only resets after selecting reverse and then back to drive.

On one occasion, the transmission dropped out of gear at 100kph would not select another. During this time, with constant throttle input, the engine rpm varied between approximately 2000 and 4000rpm. I had to pull over to the side of the road. The fault only cleared after shutting off the engine and starting it again.
Do you know if any fault codes were stored in the system? Have you contacted your servicing dealer to have the transmission inspected for the condition?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Dont google Tranny's R US either that will give you more trouble than your NAG1 could ever give you
I believe its a 654RFE as well
STEVE
Steve is both right and wrong. Right that you should not Google trannys r us.. Haha and wrong in that this is a W5A580 or Nag1. All 11-13 durangos with the 3.6 have this transmission as this engine doesn't have the torque to pull off the ridiculous 2-4 shift gap that the 54RFE AND 65RFE utilize. No worries I got you Stevo...,

Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I wasnt paying attention to the V6 stuff...Thanks FullSLP even Durango Gods get tired once in a while J/K LOL
STEVE

Old 01-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Your probably just tired of of the cold and shoveling snow. I have no excuse as its 74 degrees here in Carlsbad Ca. Ah, what to do today. Hit the beach because I'm wearing shorts and flip flops?,,, sorry had to rub it in for you east coast er.. Pretty much everyone else in America guys.. OP KEEP US POSTED ON R&R.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Probably its 8 degrees at my house right now...good news it 60 in my garage.
STEVE

Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by gregaperkin
Just curious how many miles you have. Over 60k and out of powertrain warranty coverage?

Quick Reply: NAG1 Transmission trouble