3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Loud wine on startup sporadic RPM in park with video

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 PM
funkydodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud whine on startup sporadic RPM in park with video

Hello,

On cold starts 2012 Durango v6 was whining loudly. They claim it was idler pulley and replaced it. I haven't heard the whine, but it isn't that cold anymore. Do you think this was the problem, is there anything else to look for? Lost faith in the dealer. Video here

https://youtu.be/RUwLmj3c80Y

Second problem. When the car is in park mostly (sometimes in drive) the rpm tachometer is sporadically moving. They claim it is computer controlled and within spec (even though it never did this before and doesn't seem normal). I'm going to bring it to another dealer, what should I suggest they look for?

Video;
https://youtu.be/EDEhMRjKJGg

Last edited by funkydodge; 03-23-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
J6L
Rookie

Glad you video taped the noise. I too have recently had the same noise. I suspected it might be the idler pulley but it only happened when it was really cold and usually the first start of the day. Now that it has warmed up a bit it does not do it. I elected to keep an eye on it and address it when it does the whine more consistently. As far as the RPM issue, I have not noticed anything usual there. Someone with a little more mech experience might know if that gauge uses a sensor near the idler pulley. If so, the repair might have disrupted something needed for the RPM gauge to function properly.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:24 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by funkydodge
Hello,

On cold starts 2012 Durango v6 was whining loudly. They claim it was idler pulley and replaced it. I haven't heard the whine, but it isn't that cold anymore. Do you think this was the problem, is there anything else to look for? Lost faith in the dealer. Video here

https://youtu.be/RUwLmj3c80Y

Second problem. When the car is in park mostly (sometimes in drive) the rpm tachometer is sporadically moving. They claim it is computer controlled and within spec (even though it never did this before and doesn't seem normal). I'm going to bring it to another dealer, what should I suggest they look for?

Video;
https://youtu.be/EDEhMRjKJGg
funkydodge,

Does the RPM fluctuate more after a cold start and settle at idle when warm? Or is the symptom you've noticed occurring at all times?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 PM
funkydodge

It is occuring at all times, regardless of temperature or how long the vehicle has been running.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is occuring at all times, regardless of temperature or how long the vehicle has been running.
funkydodge,

I would recommend visiting a Dodge dealer to demonstrate the concern. With the symptoms occurring each time you drive the vehicle, the dealer will have an opportunity to investigate further.

Keep us posted on what the second dealer advises.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
funkydodge

Dodgecares,

I took my vehicle to a second dealership. They initiated a star case and asked to replace the instrument cluster. Dodge denied it. I'm very upset. The rpm gauge should not be moving like it is. I am almost out of warranty and this will impact my resale value and piece of mind. What good is a bumper to bumper warranty that Dodge will not honor? What are my next steps? As a side note I never received the 200 dollar offer from FCA even though I have gone through four recalls and many additional warranty repairs. This will most likely be my last FCA product.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Did the second dealer indicate why FCA denied the claim? Was the dealer able to witness the issue? Did you provide them with the video or a the link to it?

I had a somewhat similar issue with the tachometer in my former Infiniti G35. It only acted up when the car had been sitting in the hot sun all day. The dealer was never able to duplicate it, but I provided them with a video of it acting up and they replaced the instrument cluster for me under warranty which fixed the issue.

-Rod

Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi funkydodge,

Please PM me your VIN, contact information, and dealership information so I can look into this situation further for you.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 PM
funkydodge

I wanted to publicly thank Jack (Dodgecares) for supporting me. I have an appointment setup with the dealership for the repair (hopefully this will be my last repair ). Jacks professionalism is impeccable. Thank you again for the quick response and followup. Thank you FCA.

Best Regards,
FunkyDodge

Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I wanted to publicly thank Jack (Dodgecares) for supporting me. I have an appointment setup with the dealership for the repair (hopefully this will be my last repair ). Jacks professionalism is impeccable. Thank you again for the quick response and followup. Thank you FCA.

Best Regards,
FunkyDodge
Thanks, I really appreciate that! I'm happy I could help, it's what I'm here for!

Be sure to keep us posted on here after your repairs are complete to let us know how it went!

Quick Reply: Loud wine on startup sporadic RPM in park with video