3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Endless cranking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 AM
xviiixm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Endless cranking

A few days ago, my family get in the car for the usual weekend outings, I press the start button and the starter would just crank and crank; like there was no fuel. I know you shouldn't let the starter turn too many times, but pressing the starter again would not stop it. I'm assuming it is programmed to try for so long and then give up.

I've noticed that it has been taking more cranks to get started lately, especially when completely cold.

However, if I use the remote start, there seems to be a delay starting during which time you can hear the fuel pump running and then it starts fine.

Could the hard starting be the fuel pressure relay? I did receive the notice indicating that there are no parts yet for this recall.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 PM
roogie
Rookie

Originally Posted by coldsteel
Same happened to ours, TIPM for sure. I was on vacation when mine started acting up, I found that if I turned the engine to RUN and then OFF a few times without trying to start it would prime the pump well enough to get it started.

A hassle for sure but it got us back home to our local dealer. The work around fix was done by my dealer and has been perfect since.

roog

Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm kind of digging up an old thread here, but I searched the Durango forum and this is the closest to my situation.

I have a 2011 Crew AWD 5.7L with just over 92k miles on the odometer. Recently the truck will randomly not want to start, and it's typically (although not always) when the fuel tank is below half a tank and usually on a cold start (again, not always). The symptoms are the starter will crank the engine over nicely, but the engine doesn't start after a few seconds. So far if I press the button again to stop the starter action, then immediately attempt to start again, it fires right up.

The TIPM recall has not been performed, but I have a fuel pump relay bypass cable with LEDs and even when this occurs, the LED is brightly lit on my cable which is currently only connected to the fuel pump fuse so I know the TIPM is powering the fuel pump circuit.

The symptoms are consistent with a failing fuel pump and with the mileage and my experience, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the fuel pump (and fuel filter) may be due to be replaced. When I read the service manual on what's involved in replacing the fuel pump, it doesn't sound at all like fun.

Has anyone replaced the fuel pump on a 3rd Gen Hemi Durango, and if so, would you recommend a well equipped, experienced DIY'er tackle the project? I should have all the necessary tools, but would be working from jack stands rather than a hoist. If it were your vehicle would you do it again, or pay the next time to have someone else do it? Does it make sense to replace both the primary and secondary pumps at the same time?

-Rod

Old 12-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Waynead
Veteran

My variation on this is that it will start and then stall. Hit the start button again and all it does is crank endlessly. Cycle to off, and it restarts fine. My vehicle has always done this and no one has found a solution.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3312103

Quick Reply: Endless cranking