3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:41 PM
salrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing them at 100K miles as opposed to 30K. The issue to me is that I can replace the plugs 3x to get to the cost of the police iridium plugs. I'm also seeing that a lot of people think the Hemi doesn't like the iridium plugs (??). So...I'll likely just do the copper plugs and call it good. Changing them shouldn't be that big of a deal for the cost difference...

Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 PM
WFLamanIV

I'd agree with going the original copper route. I've had customers use bosch platinum's and although the platinum material on the tips doesn't wear out as fast, the dwell time of the spark is not adequate and has lead to lumpier idles and easier fouling. Just from what I've seen on a few occasions.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
HammerZ71, they're still "plugs", they just glow instead of spark.

So what is the benefit of the police package plugs over a by-application Iridium spark plug that can be found for $7 each?

-Rod

Nope, Rod, not in a Cummins. Even way back in '89 when the old venerable ISB 5.9 went into a Dodge Ram they've used a grid heater. No glow plugs.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-10-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 PM
2011CrewLuxSC
Rookie

platinum and iridium are two entirely different things when it comes to the HEMI. I also hear the HEMI does not like platinum. the higher resistance of the platinum plugs can wear out the coil packs from what I read.

you can buy the Police Package plugs cheaper (some) on online. I went the dealer route because I had the $150 certificate for parts.

possibly NGK iridium plugs would be the same. if you could match up the corresponding NGK part number. I tried for a while and was unsuccessful. you know the Mopar/NGK plugs have to be safe for the HEMI if they're standard issue in the Police package. I can tell you from my experience the HEMI runs great with the Mopar/NGK iridium. I've been running them for 3-4 months in daily driving on 89 octane.

for me, I'll pay the extra money and not change the plugs again. I've stripped the bolt on a coil pack before during a plug change and had to replace it. and at 16 plugs to change out??? one time was fine. I have better things to do with saturday mornings.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:48 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Nope, Rod, not in a Cummins. Even way back in '89 when the old venerable ISB 5.9 went into a Dodge Ram they've used a grid heater. No glow plugs.
Interesting, I've never heard of such an approach.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but basically there are two ways to heat the air for easier combustion during cold weather in diesel engines, glow plugs in each individual cylinder or a single grid heater in the intake manifold. Generally you'll find glow plugs in V engines and a grid heater in straight engines although either could be used in either type.

Cummings grid heater:

Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 AM
salrt
Professional

Well, I replaced them last night and they didn't look bad at all to be honest. The ones in it were NGK-R's? I replaced them with the Champion Copper Plus since the general consensus is that platinum/iridium plugs don't get along with the Hemi very well and I wasn't about to spend the money on the police package plugs. The job itself is pretty simple and I had no issues. The tightest spot was the drivers side rear and that wasn't bad at all. Generally lots of room so pretty easy DIY on this vehicle...

Old 03-18-2022, 11:54 PM
FirePrincess78
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salrt
I lost the brakes on my D and had it in last week for a look-see. As it turns out, the brake booster went out. Fortunately, they fixed it under the brake recall that I had already had done. They said since there was a recall and I had it done that they would just lump the failure under it and didn't charge me a dime.

Anyways...while I was in there I asked them about the plugs. As it turns out, they suggest changing them every 30K miles. Needless to say, I am over double that, so need to do them. Here is the interesting part, they say 30K b/c they tend to get "stuck in the block". Has anyone heard of or encountered this. I am a DIY guy, but now I'm worried about trying it. Snapping off a plug would SUCK! The fact that there are 16 of them is bad enough, let alone the possibility of having one or more stuck. I'd like to hear from anyone who has changed the plugs in the 5.7...
I changed mine by myself as I am learning as I go. Always was a chevy gal and had a husband that did stuff for me. But since he left me I've learned to wrench on all my toys by myself. It's been a lot of asking google and having patience. I have a good amount of tools as well as the ones I've had to make on my own. Anyways so my 2004 2500 had about 200,000 miles on it when I did my plugs. Besides being that there are 16 of them it was pretty straight forward. On Cylinder number 7 was kind of a hard to reach. I ended up taking the cushion off the couch and laying them on top of the front of the motor so I could lay over the motor and I was able to get my little hand behind the master Cylinder and had different sized extentions and was able to get it out. I've had so.e issues with my coils seems if you buy cheap ones they go bad from time to time. So I buy the ones that are under warranty from oriellys. I had no issues with anything else other then I still have a misfire on Cylinder 4 which I have no idea where to start with that but right now I am working on my wheel hub bearing assembly and brakes. So I am actually side tracked right now from looking up how to bleed brakes. Lol sorry for the long reply but wanted to say if I didn't have an issue changing my plugs on this ol hemi you probably wont either.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs?