3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Alignment issue 2015 Citadel

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Faralta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment issue 2015 Citadel

I've had numerous issues with my D, and sadly I'm not making much progress in sorting them out. However, I need the perspective of a pro to tell me if these alignment specs are "good". My in car complaint is that the vehicle wanders too much on crowned roads, in cross-winds and when towing a trailer (for the sake of this discussion, its a 1700 lb single axle utility trailer). I asked my dealer for the specs you see in the pic, vehicle has 14,000 miles, tires are good and rotation current (I swapped out Goodyears for Conti's from the day it was new). From seat of the pants feel it seems the toe is out, but the spec sheet says its within. Three tires were feathered at 3000 miles, seems odd that either all four were not feathered or at least the fronts.
Is it possible that the combination of all the specs being skewed to one side or another could be causing me the wandering headache I'm having? Is the use of a "Base" model accurate for aligning this vehicle with a 5.7?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Faralta

Anyone? Maybe someone has a similar printout? Is Caster adjustable on these vehicles?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Isn't the right caster out of spec? Final 5.52 max is 5.44?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
Isn't the right caster out of spec? Final 5.52 max is 5.44?
It's got a "*" beside it.....what does the note say about it being out of spec?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Faralta

Unfortunately, the "*" doesn't have a corresponding note on the printout. It appears the "*" indicates that particular reading it out of spec. I haven't received a sensible explanation from the service adviser other than to say the technician says it's okay. I have to wonder how it is okay if its out of spec and is the suspension built in such a way that it can be adjusted within spec? I know some vehicles don't have a caster adjustment and it would be a result of a manufacturing defect or accident that it would be out of spec. Is this a vehicle that requires shims to correct caster? Are there other explanations?

Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Who did the alignment? If it were me, I'd be back there asking them to provide me proof that a reading that is clearly out of spec can be "ok".

Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

to much positive caster can cause a high speed shimmy but no way it would happen being out that small amount. that is not your issue. the high positive caster can be from the alignment tech not adding in a frame angle compensation...if frame angle is not zero.l

front toe being out will not cause a pull. lt can cause an off-centre steering wheel. I do not know how you feel toe out of spec. rear toe effects thrust angle so that is different. If your tires are feather edged, there is a toe problem. the initial tow reading are out. toe is the largest tie wear angle. it doesn't take much to feather edge tires. if toe is out on one side on the front, total toe will split the amount out across the 2 front tires...so it will wear both front tires.

towing 1700 lbs could change ride height and change toe. what is the tongue weight. Have you measure the ride height after connecting the trailer?

the cross caster will counter road crown and is within 0.5 degrees. not a concern.
I do not see anything in the primary alignment numbers that would be an issue other than toe wear.

the secondary readings that I can't understand are the sai and ia reading. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly.
it should not differ side to side by more than 2 degrees. I am not sure the suspension set up for this vehicle but if it uses sla suspension...typical sai for sla is 6-8 dgrees...mac strut 12-16 degrees....22 seems like a lot. it appears dodge does not list a spec for these diagnostic angles.

does the citadel have different alignments spec than a base model?

Last edited by primem; 09-11-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM
JRRF
Captain

I had an ongoing pull/wander in my '11 that the dealer simply couldn't do anything about. I finally went to a reputable independent shop. They worked on the alignment and kept adjusting it and test driving it until it drove right. The alignment was absolutely not to spec, but the car drove the way you would want it to.

Quick Reply: Alignment issue 2015 Citadel