3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2015 2 wheel drive in snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 PM
bctoasters
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 2 wheel drive in snow

Hello all. The wife & I have been looking at purchasing a new Durango, & I was curious as to how the rear wheel drive performed/handled in the snow & bad weather? We've found a few decent deals on SXTs with the Blacktop Package. We live in St. Louis, so we get a few decent snowfalls every winter. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a "few decent snowfalls"? Do you have an alternate vehicle to use on those days where it's especially bad? Are you willing to purchase snow tires?

The question for you will be whether the AWD will just be a 10% thing or whether it's necessary. Lots of AWD cars that are purchased are never really needed. They're 10% cars that never leave pavement and never really see severe weather. They're bought because the owner wanted the piece of mind. But AWD doesn't help you stop, only helps you get going and stay going in a straight line. Snow tires can accomplish that as well, but it depends on the conditions you're using them in.

For the record, I have AWD here in MI on my R/T. I also have a RWD Dodge Charger with snow tires for the winter though so I'm living both situations and the AWD Durango is my backup winter car for when I absolutely need to go out in bad weather. The added weight of the Durango in the snow/slick conditions may prove to be a problem with RWD only, but again, with quality snow tires and responsible/skilled driving, that may be neutralized.

I do think that if you stick with RWD only, winter tires are a must and you need to factor that into your budget if you don't get AWD.

Towing may also be a consideration as well. With the V6, AWD would make pulling a heavy boat out of the water at a boat ramp much easier. But if that's not your situation, ignore that.

Last edited by mcfarl58; 09-21-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 2 wheel drive in snow