3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Any reason not to get a Durango?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, just pass the buck, so to speak.

Let some other American "LOLLY POP" have your troubles.

That's has become the new standard way of life, in the good Ol' US of A.

Just keep on passing the buck.

AND I bet FCA keeps that in mind too.

Last edited by usmc1811; 01-28-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:26 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1811
Yep, just pass the buck, so to speak.

Let some other American "LOLLY POP" have your troubles.

That's has become the new standard way of life, in the good Ol' US of A.

Just keep on passing the buck.

AND I bet FCA keeps that in mind too.

Exactly! I will keep this truck and cost the dealership and Chrysler more money then they will like since I have the lifetime warranty and I only have to pay the $100.00 deductible each time their crappy parts fail!

@coldsteel,
Why have I not just traded it in?????? Do you know what a carfax history is? Yeah, that's right, Nobody wants to buy a lemon. Especially one that can be proven to anyone pulling it!!!!!! That and because of the carfax history no one will give me what it is worth causing it to become a rollover issue! So, yeah, I'll keep this one but will NEVER buy another Dodge again.

I will also keep informing people who are thinking of buying FCA garbage about these issues giving them a better view of the TRUTH!

Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM
GDM
Professional

I suspect that if one were to access other vehicle manufacturer's forum sites, one would see posts that the owner rips on that vehicle and swears off ever buying that brand again. It happens! Yet if you read most of the posts on the Durango site, most (not all) folks are happy with their respective vehicle. My Durango is actually my 3rd Chrysler manufactured vehicle (my first Durango), and all of them performed(s) well. As I said in my previous post in this thread, I like my Durango and would by one again. I doubt any one post or posts on this or other sites will devastate or improve a brand's bottom line, but hearing the good and bad helps those who read forums form their opinions about a vehicle.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM
usmc1811
Veteran

Excuses are like @$$holes, everyone has one.

And they have become easier to use.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie

In 2012, we were looking to replace my wife's 2006 Cadillac SRX. I have always preferred GM vehicles for myself (K5 Blazer, several Camaros, CTS-V, GTO, etc ...) so was leaning towards the Tahoe. My wife absolutely hates minivans, and also wasn't keen on the Tahoe as it typically signals "soccer mom" ... so she was leaning towards the Flex (because of the 'cool factor'). When I say I'm a GM guy .... I am not a brand die-hard, I just know what I like, and GMs have always been good to me.

So when shopping around in 2012, my wife said something about a Durango. My thought went to the gen 2 Durangos, and I vetoed immediately with a "no", without even thinking about it. I didn't like the looks, heard bad things about reliability, thoughts of interior rattles popped into my head, etc ... My stepfather has a 2000 Ram 1500, and the interior is so bad in that thing. Rattles like crazy, dash has completely broken apart into hundreds of pieces, has a constant coolant smell to it, but no one has been able to find a leak, etc ...

My wife asked why, and I explained what I typed above. Then she says, "well, did you know they redesigned them recently?" And I didn't know this. Being we have a family member who works for FCA, we knew we could get the Friends/Family discount thing, and he told us the Fiat engineers actually did the redesign on the Durango; so we decided to go have a look. After test driving one, we knew our purchase would be a Durango. What got me most about it, was the quality and luxury feel was greater in the Durango than it was in her SRX, or my previously owned 2005 Cadillac CTS-V. The interior was quieter, the handling was better, the seats were very comfortable, tech integration seemed quality ... basically, we liked everything about it.

One requirement of mine was our new vehicle had to be able to tow, as I was actively racing my 2005 GTO on the road circuit. So the loaded trailer weight was about 6000lbs. My wife was fixated on a V6, as she wanted to be "green" with the gas mileage. Those two requirements right there can only be met with the Durango. And I'm so glad it was, otherwise she would have opted for the Flex, and I would have been stuck trying to tow with that thing, or renting something every time I had a race weekend.

4 years later, the only issue we had with it was the rear gate lift piston gave out and was replace under warranty. We did have the fuel pump relay recall issue, and that was also fixed. We sold the 2012 Crew last week and are buying a 2016 Durango R/T to replace it. IT was ordered back in Nov, and should be delivered to the dealer this week.

It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to vehicles, and this is the 1st time I've bought the same make/model back-to-back. Of course this time, we're doing it right with the R/T

We also opted for the 8 year, 120,000 mile Mopar extended warranty (cost us $1920). I chose the 8 year over the lifetime only because the lifetime is not transferable if we decide to sell it, where as the 8 year is.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:07 PM
insureobx
Rookie

I'm on my second Durango and have had very good experiences with both of them. Very little issues so far. I had a 2012 Citadel and traded to a 2014 R/T October of 2014. Thoroughly enjoy my truck. Get compliments on it all the time. I guess I've been fortunate with my two to not have had any major issues. I also purchased the lifetime warranty and plan on driving this one for quite a long time (two kids getting ready to get licenses and then college) so I wanted to be sure I was covered.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 AM
usmc1811
Veteran

Like with any brand of vehicles bought by the consumer,you are going to have your good and bad stories of ownership. No matter how many different brands of vehicles or types of vehicles you have bought in your life time.

Warranties keep the consumer coming back for more and also are giving the consumer a "peace of mind" mentality.

I think all brands and consumers benefit from this type of "safety net" so to speak.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:06 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We love our 2014 SXT Plus. So far so good, no problems. I'd definitely buy another. This is our 5th Dodge in a row and never had any problems with any of them. Maybe we're just lucky. we looked at the Highlander also and it was a nice vehicle but the Durango had so much more room. In the Toyota I don't think you could even get any groceries behind the 3rd row.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM
adbutz
Rookie

I have had my 2012 Durango RT for three and a half years and have had numerous issues. I currently have around 55000kms. Vehicle has so many issues I prefer to drive my old 2003 Pontiac Montana. Just waiting to come even on my financing and for my 5 year warranty to expire so I can get rid of it.

Had the shocks replaced four times(4th set appears to have finally worked).
Shimmy in the steering wheel never fully resolved after numerous alignments and tire balances.
Still has slight pull to the right again never resolved as above.
Hood began to corrode at about 2 years had to be replaced.
Door had exposed metal pieces that had to be sanded and repainted.
Glove compartment door had to be replaced as handle became loose even with minimal use.
Molding on front windshield had to be replaced twice as it warped.
Durango has an occasional slight bind/slip/jerk at approximately 7 miles per hour that the dealership tried to claim was hill start assist. Does it with hill start assist set to on and off though. Never fixed. Intermittent issue that's never been resolved.
Recently all four rims started to corrode/peel around the lug nuts. Vehicle is routinely washed and not mistreated. Extended warranty will not cover this.
Numerous rattles since day one. My old 2003 Pontiac Montana makes less sounds with 172000kms
Roof liner is cut too small and pulls away from the rubber molding (doors)/ plastic (pillars) occasionally.

Other cons.

Seats are uncomfortable during extended road trips.
U-connect glitches and is prone to freezing up.
Bass is absent from sound.
Terrible gas mileage(19 mpg highway / 13 mpg city). I knew this going in so I can't blame Dodge . Thank goodness for the drop in fuel prices.
Limited amount of cargo space when all seats in the upright position. Good luck fitting a full size suitcase in the back.

Pros

Looks
Exhaust Sound
RT seems to handle corners/turning with ease
Power once you get it into its comfort zone. Don't expect it to be a rocket off the line as you will be disappointed

Take it as you will but if it was me I would stick with the GM product.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 AM
gambledog

-The handling is nicer than all the other 7-seater domestics I tested.
-Shares a platform (to some extent) with the Mercedes GL class and a transmission with the Audi Q7 but costs much less.
-Great interior finish and technology.
-Space for 6 adults comfortably (with the captain's chairs) or 2 adults, 2 kids in carseats, 2 dogs and camping gear without packing to the ceiling.
-I don't have to buy a van
-Can tow 7400lbs.

Dislikes:
-After testing the R/T I couldn't convince myself to buy the V6 even though it made more sense.
-Adaptive cruise disengages if you change lanes (or with too much steering input) which can be a surprise if you expect the car to slow down for you.
-Exiting manual mode requires holding + paddle for 3 seconds.
-Gear selector **** is gimicky. Also, I'm not sure if there's a lockout to keep the shift **** out of R/P when underway and afraid to find out the hard way
-Gas mileage is hellish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any reason not to get a Durango?