3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Leaking front driver side strut

Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Weeg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking front driver side strut

I noticed a little oil type leak in the garage under the Durango and it is coming from the front driver side strut. I made an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at and they came back that it needs to be replaced BUT only that side, not the other? I asked why and they said you only need to replace the one with these types of struts and Dodge will not approve if they send it back and something is not wrong with the passenger side.
I mentioned that in my experience you always change struts in pairs, again he said not these type. They have to order so I went home and called the customer assistance center to see if this was true, basically they told me that they need to back the dealer in this case! I mentioned again my concern that the ride, suspension and handling would be effected by one new strut and the other with 34,000 miles and again the center said they have to back the dealer.

The vehicle is still under the warranty but I am concerned about changing only one strut, I think they should replace in pair? Any thoughts or suggestions from the forum? I do not want to pay for the replacement. Is this the way they do this?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They replaced my passenger side front one at 50K, no issues so far. Same feel as it as always had.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Chunner

My left front strut was leaking to on my 2013 Citadel with 18,000 miles. They replace both struts under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:36 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Weeg,

While I am not in our warranty department, your dealership is most likely correct in saying that they may not be able to have a strut replacement approved under warranty if that specific strut is not exhibiting any symptoms. This is all decided on a case-by-case basis, and if only replacing one strut would cause some type of issue there could likely be an exception made. From a customer care perspective, we do trust and go by our dealership service teams for diagnoses.

Keep us posted on this!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
kiddhan625
Rookie

I had a similar issue with my 2012 Jaguar. The dealership ONLY replaced the defective strut. Not the pair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking front driver side strut