3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 R/T on a race track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 AM
WereTiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2013 R/T on a race track?

So, my company is having a corporate event at a local race track (Calabogie in Ontario). I have the option of bringing my vehicle or having a v8 mustang rented for me.

Honestly, I'd like to see what the Hemi in the 2013 R/T can do, but it's been suggested that the center of gravity on the SUV is too high to be safe on a race track. I googled and I can't find any videos of 3rd gen Durangos on tracks. I recognize that even with the 5.7L Hemi this vehicle isn't a race car, but isn't the 'T' in R/T for "Track"?

Any thoughts? If I can't find a decent justification/proof that the Durango isn't going to roll like a burrito, I'm going opt to drive the Mustang and be sad about it.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The DD is heavy and fine running a straight line. A twisty race track might test your driving skills in DD. The suspension will hold up, your brakes will get more work than the norm. I tested my 12 R/T on the back roads last fall, lots of hills and twist. I notice how heavy the DD can be in a tight turn, it held the turns. But, I had to work at it and I made a real effort to keep my speed up. And manually shifted up/down through the turns.

You might want to use the Mustang for the experience and save your DD.

But,if use your DD, just be mindful that it's heavy and adjust your driving.

Last edited by usmc1811; 06-14-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

By "track" I assume you mean road course....if so, take it easy in the corners and it should not roll. If Durangos were prone to roll overs, they would cease to exist....like the Suzuki Samurai...

Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 PM
kell4life
Rookie

Someone in here use to auto cross his D, said it kept up with cars much smaller. Do a quick search and it should come up.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM
WereTiger

Originally Posted by jkeaton
By "track" I assume you mean road course
<s>Negative, bonafide race track (albeit, not a big one). </s>

Apparently 'Road Course' is what racetracks are called

Last edited by WereTiger; 06-14-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 PM
wildspeed
Professional

You will have much more fun to run the mustang....especially if you don't have to replace parts after the event....
You will destroy your tires, warp your rotors, pads will be gone and that's only if no mishap... or any mechanical issues....
Track days are fun, but not gentle on the ride.
What ever you choose, be safe
just my 0.2c

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
cognitanus

I drove my DD on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, > 20 km of Curves and up and down. The brake was not new, it began to rumble while hard breaking. After 2 rounds the brakes was totally poor, no braking, smells like burning pads and so on. It was a great fun but i will not do it again. Here in Germany you won't get good material except the original mopar, but they'll cost rear 120 € each (136$) and front 150 € (170$). Every turn on the racetrack will cost much money, this is not worth it.

Here the link to the Nürburgring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring

cognitanus

Quick Reply: 2013 R/T on a race track?