3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

My Durango only has 2,000 lbs tow capacity?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:22 PM
ptesmoke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000?? WTF??

My citadel is rated for 7200...that seems a little messed up.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by ptesmoke
2000?? WTF??

My citadel is rated for 7200...that seems a little messed up.
'

The more expensive DDs that come tow-equipped from the factory have higher ratings because the integrated hitch was designed into the frame and the transmission and oil coolers are there to keep everything functioning normally during long hauls.

You can certainly slap a hitch on any vehicle you want and it will tow as much weight as it can get moving, but that doesn't mean the brakes will stop it and also doesn't mean the standard components will hold up.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
ptesmoke

Originally Posted by coldsteel
'

The more expensive DDs that come tow-equipped from the factory have higher ratings because the integrated hitch was designed into the frame and the transmission and oil coolers are there to keep everything functioning normally during long hauls.

You can certainly slap a hitch on any vehicle you want and it will tow as much weight as it can get moving, but that doesn't mean the brakes will stop it and also doesn't mean the standard components will hold up.
I see, which makes sense. but seems like a massive difference. I guess if the factory hitch is that well integrated...

Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Big had
I hve a 2015 limited.the trans temps and all that stuff are exactly the same driving it without a trailer or with my trailer. I pulled my 3700 lb sea doo trailer to the river. It was warm out and lots off hills. I don't have the factory hitch. I installed one myself. I am very mechanical and I did worry about the effects of towing,so I monitored it closely while I drove. It was a champ. Never even felt the trailer in tow, and got way better fuel economy then my Laramie 4x4 Hemi truck. Averaged 20 mpg. Sweet. I was wondering if I needed to add a trans cooler and what not, so this was my maiden voyage. My answer, nope! It did fine! The trans runs at 197-199 driving empty and the same with the trailer, and the oil temps were the same. The numbers seem high but I am old school and get the new trans run warmer then years past.
Thank you for proving what I've been theorizing on here forever.

The only difference between a factory-installed package and an aftermarket Mopar hitch is the factory setup can handle more extreme conditions like pulling uphill in Arizona 120 degree heat. As long as you keep your eye on the engine, oil and tranny temps as you're towing, you're fine!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by coldsteel
'

It has nothing to do with "more expensive DDs", you can get the tow package at any price point.

The aftermarket Mopar hitch is integrated into the frame the same way the factory one is. Even comes with the bumper cover bezel and once installed it's indistinguishable from a factory-installed setup.

So now the Durango's brakes are also upgraded with the tow package? Don't think so!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure they go conservative on their tech support because their answers and ratings must assume some worst case scenarios. Find a shop to put an aftermarket transmission and oil cooler on there if you have concerns.

Steve

Quick Reply: My Durango only has 2,000 lbs tow capacity?!!!