3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Gibson axleback - warm vs. cold sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Wolfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson axleback - warm vs. cold sound?

I'm looking at exhaust options and quite like the sound of the gibson axleback kit.

What I haven't been able to find/figure out from the videos I've seen is whether it sounds significantly different when the car is warmed up. My stock R/T exhaust definitely gets quieter after the first couple of minutes from a cold start.

I'm looking for something that is a little deeper/louder at idle, pretty mild when driving gently but sounds raw when you get on the gas. Can't stretch the budget to a full catback system.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM
brewcalhoun
Amateur

I have the Gibson catback exhaust on my 14 Citadel. In my opinion, it is somewhat tame if installed as instructed. I tried posting a couple vids, but they are way over the 5 meg limit. Anyway, I originally removed the resonator (suitcase) and installed an x-pipe in its place. It sounded crazy; like a Hemi should sound, but the drone was too much to ignore. I then installed a set of small resonators from a charger that the shop had laying around and it magically did the trick. It's drone free, not crazy loud, but has a great rumble at idle and a hell of a bark when you get on it. Doesn't sound like your average grocery getter, that's for sure!

Old 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Wolfe

Thanks! Did the charger resonators get added after/into the x-pipe or do they replace the rear boxes of the Gibson system please?

Originally Posted by brewcalhoun
I have the Gibson catback exhaust on my 14 Citadel. In my opinion, it is somewhat tame if installed as instructed. I tried posting a couple vids, but they are way over the 5 meg limit. Anyway, I originally removed the resonator (suitcase) and installed an x-pipe in its place. It sounded crazy; like a Hemi should sound, but the drone was too much to ignore. I then installed a set of small resonators from a charger that the shop had laying around and it magically did the trick. It's drone free, not crazy loud, but has a great rumble at idle and a hell of a bark when you get on it. Doesn't sound like your average grocery getter, that's for sure!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM
brewcalhoun
Amateur

None of the Gibson system was replaced. All the system consists of is the mufflers, tips and piping to connection points. In the pic you can see the resonator. It's the big ole suitcase looking thing mid-length of vehicle. That's what I originally removed and replaced with x-pipe. The charger resonators were later added just before the x-pipe. Hope that helps.... I can email you the vids if you like?

Attached Thumbnails Gibson axleback - warm vs. cold sound?-264.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Wolfe

Thank you, I think I get it now. I'm guessing for the setup you have now, it needed some welding together?

thanks for the explanation, it's a big help!

None of the Gibson system was replaced. All the system consists of is the mufflers, tips and piping to connection points. In the pic you can see the resonator. It's the big ole suitcase looking thing mid-length of vehicle. That's what I originally removed and replaced with x-pipe. The charger resonators were later added just before the x-pipe. Hope that helps.... I can email you the vids if you like?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 AM
brewcalhoun
Amateur

Yes, I did the initial install of the catback system. It simply clamps on the existing pipe at the instructed cut-off points and that leaves alot of room for future issues. I had planned to take it in to have it welded anyway, so I figured I would have them cut out the resonator and install the x-pipe while they were at it. It wasn't much if I remember right, think it cost me an extra $80.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Wolfe

Thanks for all the info on this. This durango is the first v8 I've owned and I'm not at all familiar with the exhaust setups. Your advice has been a huge help!

Yes, I did the initial install of the catback system. It simply clamps on the existing pipe at the instructed cut-off points and that leaves alot of room for future issues. I had planned to take it in to have it welded anyway, so I figured I would have them cut out the resonator and install the x-pipe while they were at it. It wasn't much if I remember right, think it cost me an extra $80.

Quick Reply: Gibson axleback - warm vs. cold sound?