3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 Crew Questions - Pre Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:27 PM
jwnova99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Crew Questions - Pre Purchase

I'm looking to purchase a used 2013 Durango Crew with the V8. I plan on lifting it 2" and installing slightly bigger tires which is why I don't want the lowered RT.

I'm told these models have the low range available. Does this lock all 4 wheels? I really miss the old 4 wheel lock option from the older generations.

Is the Crew and RT basically the same except for wheels and RT being lowered? Why does it seem so much cheaper with the same DVD, Leather, V8 options?

If I do find an RT within budget can I reverse the stock lowering kit and put the same lift as I would on the Crew?

Thank you.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RT will also have a stiffer suspension and I believe a louder exhaust, and most likely will NOT have the roof rack.

Also be sure to figure out if it has the factory tow package if that's a concern - i believe the factory version will normally have some extra engine and tranny cooling function.

FYI if you can get one year newer you get a MUCH better driving transmission.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Below is an excerpt from the 2013 Owner's Manual regarding the use of Low-Range. You can read more details if you download the Owner's Manual:

OFF-ROAD DRIVING TIPS
When To Use LOW Range – If Equipped
When off-road driving, shift to LOW for additional traction. This range should be limited to extreme situations such as deep snow, mud, or sand where additional low speed pulling power is needed. Vehicle speeds in excess of 25 mph (40 km/h) should be avoided when in LOW range.

WARNING!
Do not drive in 4WD-LOW Range on dry pavement; driveline damage may result. 4WD-LOW Range locks front and rear drivelines together and does not allow for differential action between the front to rear driveshafts. Driving in 4WD-LOW on pavement will cause driveline binding and crow-hop; use only on wet or slippery surfaces.

Last edited by DDCREW; 08-05-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The R/T was built for speed and not for off road mud slinging. Not to say you could not mod. the R/T for the mud. But, you would need to spend a great deal of money doing so. And that does not make sense to me, because the R/T price tag is usually a little bit more $$.There are other DD platforms that make more sense to mod. at a much cheaper overall cost $$.

Just saying

Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V8 Hemi AWD should have a 4-Low ****/switch which engages all 4 wheels.

Quick Reply: 2013 Crew Questions - Pre Purchase