3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

rear brake pads wear much faster than front

Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 PM
wshtb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake pads wear much faster than front

Two years ago I bought a 14 Durango R/T. Since day one the brake felt odd. On hard braking, everything works fine; on moderate braking, it feels as if the front brakes aren't involved. Dealer test drove it, said nothing was wrong. But it definitely felt very different from another Durango that I test drove before the purchase. So I swapped out the OEM brake pads for a set of EBC high performance pads.

Fast forward 2 years and 20k miles. I checked the pads a couple days ago. Front pads are about 50%, while the rear pads are completely gone.

On all my other cars, the rear brake pads last much longer than the front, which kinda make sense because the front brake provides most of the stopping power.

I know that some car uses the rear brake more as a way to reduce brake dive. Does that apply to Durango?

Or, maybe something is wrong with the brake proportioning mechanism on my car? Does our car have adjustable proportioning valve? Or is it all controlled by computer?

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer again without arming myself with good knowledge; otherwise they will probably just blame the non-oem pads. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:56 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you just driving in reverse? Lol

Honestly, I have no idea.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very strange indeed. It would be very hard for me to believe it was the non-OEM brake pads. The ABS might be something to checkout. But, I'm guessing here too.
Talk to a brake shop and see if any can help, before taking your D back to a dealership.
And if you do take your D back to a dealership, take your D to a different one this time.
Just to see if you get a better result and hopefully a fix if needed.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 PM
macatowa
Rookie

I'll offer this up, i replaced my rear pads this past winter at about 140,000 miles, however i'm at 156,000 miles and the original fronts are still good. Now they may be getting thin but the rotors are perfectly even and smooth! The DD is a 2011 bought new and in now over 5 years old. The DD does stop vey good, it has had the booster replaced due to a failure but that was a few years ago.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM
SteelSteve

Had the same thing happen to my 2013 crew at about 55 - 60K. Dealership told me the rear rotors and pads needed to be replaced but the fronts were fine. I was always told the fronts did most of the stopping so i found this unusual.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 PM
viper1966

Could the issue have to do with "Hill Start Assist", "Rain Brake Support" and "Electronic Brake Force Distribution"? All these new features could be contributing to the rear brake wear that has typically not been seen when not present in a vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear brake pads wear much faster than front