3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Roof Rails on Durango R/T 2017 - what about 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rails on Durango R/T 2017 - what about 2015?

I was checking out local inventory at my local Dodge Dealer (lusting after a Charger SRT Hellcat) and I noticed they had a 2017 DD R/T with ROOF RAILS!!!! Seems like a factory option now:

Black Roof Rails ($395)
Integrated Roof Rail Crossbars

I know this was not offered on 2015 and maybe 2016. Something about attaching roof rails on the R/T hood and possibly impacting the side air bags. I asked and no one could help me when I purchased my 2015 R/T. Read many posts here and elsewhere with people choosing to go with After Market Roof Cross Bars. What I do not like about this option it seems like when they are installed they are too far forward. I realize they are more robust then any OEM roof rail with cross bars.

Can anyone tell me if this new option for 2017 can be installed on later models?????? I will check with my local Dodge Dealer. Here is the link to the R/T in question:

http://www.fredbeansdodgechryslerjee...5801dcb3d5.htm

Old 01-13-2017, 04:06 PM
oharag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oharag
I was checking out local inventory at my local Dodge Dealer (lusting after a Charger SRT Hellcat) and I noticed they had a 2017 DD R/T with ROOF RAILS!!!! Seems like a factory option now:

Black Roof Rails ($395)
Integrated Roof Rail Crossbars

I know this was not offered on 2015 and maybe 2016. Something about attaching roof rails on the R/T hood and possibly impacting the side air bags. I asked and no one could help me when I purchased my 2015 R/T. Read many posts here and elsewhere with people choosing to go with After Market Roof Cross Bars. What I do not like about this option it seems like when they are installed they are too far forward. I realize they are more robust then any OEM roof rail with cross bars.

Can anyone tell me if this new option for 2017 can be installed on later models?????? I will check with my local Dodge Dealer. Here is the link to the R/T in question:

http://www.fredbeansdodgechryslerjee...5801dcb3d5.htm
Apparently no go for older R/T models than 2017. I want to know what changed for 2017 to allow for roof rails!

Old 03-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since roof rails are optional on all other models of the Durango from 2011-2018, and nothing up there has changed at all since 2011, I don't see why you couldn't install roof rails on any Durango. If there is any issue with the air bags, why would the factory install them? Maybe they're worried about people drilling into the side airbags, but you'd have to drill like 4 inches past the roof to hit them. I dunno.

Incidentally I'm selling my OEM roof rails if you want them.