3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Towing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:26 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine with the Hemi. You can't use a weight distributing or sway control hitch because the trailer has surge brakes. Surge brakes + sway control/weight distributing hitch is a no go. The sway control interferes with the surge braking operation of the trailer.

Just keep in mind that you have no sway control as you're towing and you should be fine. That means keep the speed down. I wouldn't go any faster than 60-65 if it was me and I'd be really careful even in that instance. If it starts to feel like it's swaying, let off the gas, keep the wheel straight. DO NOT hit the brakes, DO NOT hit the gas, and DO NOT turn to try and correct it.

Or you could just give me a call and I'll come out and drive the GTO to Dallas for you.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:42 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
You should be fine with the Hemi. You can't use a weight distributing or sway control hitch because the trailer has surge brakes. Surge brakes + sway control/weight distributing hitch is a no go. The sway control interferes with the surge braking operation of the trailer.

Just keep in mind that you have no sway control as you're towing and you should be fine. That means keep the speed down. I wouldn't go any faster than 60-65 if it was me and I'd be really careful even in that instance. If it starts to feel like it's swaying, let off the gas, keep the wheel straight. DO NOT hit the brakes, DO NOT hit the gas, and DO NOT turn to try and correct it.

Or you could just give me a call and I'll come out and drive the GTO to Dallas for you.
That's funny. I tell people that driving the GTO is like doing something else that's really fun. It's hot, sweaty, sticky, noisy, and absolutely the best fun you can have while you're doing it. But I can't do either one for very long anymore......