3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

I need advice on differential and transmission fluids change

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Alyahya
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice on differential and transmission fluids change

Hi
I have Durango 2013 and I have not changed differential or transmission oils yet. It has 137,00 KM = 85,00 mile.
I am intending to change gaskets and fluids for both. Any advice on what to do? I will appreciate that.
Homoud

Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If you have an owners manual, it will state in there what type of fluid is required for each and at what mileage they should be changed. Parts stores will have the gaskets and the transmission filters. Generally stick with OEM filters.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Alyahya

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If you have an owners manual, it will state in there what type of fluid is required for each and at what mileage they should be changed. Parts stores will have the gaskets and the transmission filters. Generally stick with OEM filters.
Thank you your reply. The owner's manual doesn't say specify after what mileage a change shall be carried out.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Here is a link to the owners manual. In the "maintaining your vehicle" section, it specifies fluids to use and in the "maintenance schedules" section it lists the mileages you should be performing scheduled maintenance.

http://m.dodge.com/download/pdf/manu...ad-button.y=12

Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Alyahya

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Here is a link to the owners manual. In the "maintaining your vehicle" section, it specifies fluids to use and in the "maintenance schedules" section it lists the mileages you should be performing scheduled maintenance.

http://m.dodge.com/download/pdf/manu...ad-button.y=12
Thank you for sharing the owners manual. I must've overlooked the schedule maintenance recommendations. However, I'll appreciate if you could help me in explaining this quote from the manual "Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off- road or frequent trailer towing.
The mileage for recommended change are :32k, 64k, ...and so on. I have changed it before. Does this mean it might be damaged?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alyahya
Thank you for sharing the owners manual. I must've overlooked the schedule maintenance recommendations. However, I'll appreciate if you could help me in explaining this quote from the manual "Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off- road or frequent trailer towing.
The mileage for recommended change are :32k, 64k, ...and so on. I have changed it before. Does this mean it might be damaged?

That's what they mean by "SEVERE SERVICE". There should be a column for normal and severe in the schedule. The intervals will be shorter.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM
mtfallsmikey

My 96 manual states Mopar ATF Plus, type 7176 or equiv., or Dexron III if ATF is not available. Is the ATF Plus available in synthetic, or can synthetic be used, or is anyone running Dexron?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:25 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ATF 4 is backwards compatible.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
That's what they mean by "SEVERE SERVICE". There should be a column for normal and severe in the schedule. The intervals will be shorter.
When I took my 2013 DD Hemi for the oil change I also asked to do the Transfer Case and Differential fluids check (as stated in manual). Service writer told me that there is nothing to check - systems are sealed. Based on my normal driving and averaging about 6K miles/year, looks like I'll wait the 12 years stated in the manual to perform the fluids and transmission filter changes.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM
coldsteel
Captain

I'm with DDCrew on this one. I only tow a utility trailer around to HD and TSC and I am encountering no issues, so I'll wait.

Next month will be the end of 6 years with my 2011. Other than that blasted TIPM, it has been a reliable vehicle. <knocks firmly on wood>