3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

WTF? Suburbans get offroad parts before us?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTF? Suburbans get offroad parts before us?!

So I've been searching for some fender flares because I really don't like how mudflaps look. Can't seem to find much, so I called Bushwacker and asked them straight up if they had any plans to come out with something for the Durango. I was told "welllll you're only like the second person to ever ask us that so no, probably not anytime soon. We get about 4 calls a day for suburbans though, so we're coming out with some fender flares for them."

Roughly 343,000 3rd-gen Durangos have been sold in the US since 2011.

Roughly 313,000 Suburbans have been sold during the same time period.

Apparently we need to make our voices heard more.

One thing Bushwacker specifically told me - they usually don't listen to customers asking for custom stuff. In order to roll out a new product line, the majority of the decision happens when the manufacturer asks them to make something. So if DodgeCares is listening....hey, not all of us keep our glorified minivans on the street. And even when we do, it'd be nice to not have road salt and sand thrown up on my doors every time I go to Tahoe just because my wheels stick out a tiny bit.

They did mention they'd "pass my suggestion on" to their design team, but seriously, how hard can it be to tweak a few measurements? I mean we share enough with the JGC and MB GLs it should be pretty easy to fit.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 02-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off road or Speed?

It's just me. And to each his or her own.
But,I just don't see a DD as being a full on mud/off road SUV.
And Yes, I know you can build the DD to be one. And yes I know some have done so.
But to me the DD body lines will always say "Speed".

The new SRT DD coming in 2018, say's "Speed".

Last edited by usmc1811; 02-21-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Yes, I'm aware of the SRT. And yes, I'm aware that many people don't "see" the DD as being a full on mud or off road SUV. Fender flares work for on-road applications too when people want to stance their vehicle or just put wider wheels / change the offset / whatever. It just so happens that my needs are more towards the offroad.

I don't really get where the on-road only mindset came from either. It started as a BOF SUV based off the Dakota platform no? I bought it because I compared it literally side by side with various JGCs in the dealer parking lot + online stuff and couldn't justify myself paying $10k more for roughly the same **** and less space. The only thing keeping me from ripping the 3rd row out and putting the SSV storage bins in is that I don't have anywhere to store the seats once they're out.

Yes, I know the DD has a worse approach angle. Mostly fixed that by lifting it 2.5". If the skidplate group had been an option w/ the RT, I would have gotten that too. I'm not trying to do any hardcore crawling but fire roads and light to medium trails for hunting and fishing and camping are in the cards. Something that any SUV should be able to handle.

This is a Dodge Durango, not a Honda CRV or Mazda CX5. And with 300k+ owners out there, I have to imagine there's at least a few tens of thousands who like to take theirs offroading in at least a light capacity. I'm not saying Dodge needs to come out with a Trail Edition w/ front tow hooks, a mild lift, bigger wheels, bigger brakes, and a roof rack (cough, that'd be sick though, cough) but fender flares really shouldn't be this damn hard to find for it.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said "To each of his or her own."
But, if you do find some solid FENDER FLARES, post the info..
I'm sure there are a many on here that would/could use that.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:04 PM
MJNewman
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why don't you design and build your own? Cant fault a company for not investing in a product with no demand. Its like demanding apple sauce instead of pizza sauce and than being mad they don't carry it. If you don't have the skillset than I'm sure you can pay someone to build custom ones for you.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Last I asked around I was quoted $3500 for a custom set of fenders, not just flares. Big difference between $300 plastics and $3500 quarterpanels. I'm not making enough money I can just say "yeah sure, **** it why not."

Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete
Roughly 343,000 3rd-gen Durangos have been sold in the US since 2011.

Roughly 313,000 Suburbans have been sold during the same time period.
Sure, but for most aftermarket stuff you could probably add in the number of Yukons, Yukon XL, Tahoes, and Escalades on the road too. Because chances are, parts made for one fits all of them. Not to mention that plenty of parts for those probably also fit GMC and Chevy pickups.

I agree I wish more aftermarket stuff was out there, but when you are talking about stuff that is specific to the Durango I can see why it's risky to invest much into tooling for some items. Plastic molds are really expensive.