3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hi From N. IL

Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM
HiccaBurp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi From N. IL

Hello all. I'm hoping to be a first time Mopar owner very soon. I'm looking at 2014-2017 Durango R/T awd. I do have a couple of questions.

1. I was told to stay away form the 2014's as they had trans/transaxle issues?

2. Looks like some years Beats was an option but now it's standard. Is the Beats audio much better over standard? I do like a lot of bass

3. Roof rails. You can order 2017's with roof rails. Did the 14-16 come with the option of ordering roof rails?

4. Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks!!

Old 03-16-2017, 03:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome. Moved to the Durango section.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I haven't heard about problems other than I can tell you the 14 and new transmission is way better than previous.
2) I have the 9 speaker system non-Beats with sub in a 2015 RT. Plenty loud. Not quite as well defined as some high end systems from other makes, but very good. Plenty of Bass for rock and hip hop. A little lacking for the detail in classical.
3) I don't think RTs had the option to have a roof rack in 14-16. Have never seen such a thing myself and I looked for it.
4) Be aware that in some models the front passenger seat folds down. That is really handy for carrying long lumber or ladders, especially if you don't have a roof rack. But models with a full power recline passenger seat can't do that. My 2012 crew passenger seat folded, my 2015 RT does not. Also be aware that the stock (in most vehicles) Goodyear Fortera tires are good for about 40,000 miles. Beyond that my experience is that they will not perform well in snow even if the tread looks decent.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM
HiccaBurp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wi-steve
1) I haven't heard about problems other than I can tell you the 14 and new transmission is way better than previous.
2) I have the 9 speaker system non-Beats with sub in a 2015 RT. Plenty loud. Not quite as well defined as some high end systems from other makes, but very good. Plenty of Bass for rock and hip hop. A little lacking for the detail in classical.
3) I don't think RTs had the option to have a roof rack in 14-16. Have never seen such a thing myself and I looked for it.
4) Be aware that in some models the front passenger seat folds down. That is really handy for carrying long lumber or ladders, especially if you don't have a roof rack. But models with a full power recline passenger seat can't do that. My 2012 crew passenger seat folded, my 2015 RT does not. Also be aware that the stock (in most vehicles) Goodyear Fortera tires are good for about 40,000 miles. Beyond that my experience is that they will not perform well in snow even if the tread looks decent.
Thanks for the info!!

I like the look without roof rails, however, going on trips usually requires us to put the turtle top.

I really like the 8speed trans. However, I've toyed with getting a 12/13 R/T then throw some good mods.. supercharger, etc.. If I buy a newer one and it still has the warranty, I'll have to wait before doing the mods plus i'll have less $$ for them.

As for tires, not worried. I'll probably throw some winter tires on the stock wheels and get a set of performance tires on some new wheels.

Search this Thread