3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Such as? There is no such thing as a more concerned manufacturer. Each has their own issues and poor response rate.
We bought a used '14 Mercedes ML350. That got me frequenting MB forums. MB sold 1,870,000 vehicles worldwide in 2015. You should see the problems that MB is ducking for the moment. Stretched out seat material on almost brand new GLE's. Hundreds of complaints about screeching brakes on the newest GLK's. Sports sedans ordered with folding mirrors that showed up without them. Tires on some ordinary models that last less than 15k miles. Crappy halogen headlights on $60k models with no option to upgrade to LED's without purchasing a $6k package that includes them. Remote start only by cell phone which costs $20.00/month.

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=18436760

Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealerships can make or break a manufactures brand they are trying to sale.

Buyers/Customers can make or break those dealerships.

And it's something I think FCA has forgotten.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:19 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, I'm just throwing this "hypothetical" out there and you can respond how you want. I am in no way directing this at anyone OR admitting to being complicit in this in any way (snicker) I hope I get all my thoughts across here...there are so many points to touch upon. This may help you decipher some of your experiences when taking your car in for service.

Warranty Labor and Customer Pay Labor are two different entities. Warranty time is often 50% or less of customer pay time. Technicians do not get paid if they're not working. Neither do shops.

Dealer service depts typically DO NOT upsell warranty work.

Technicians get paid garbage labor time for warranty work in 80% of the cases. Warranty work INCLUDES Chrysler service contracts and pays as badly, but it's even worse when a 100K beat down, neglected car pays warranty time.

Diagnostic time does not include a customer spending hours of someone's time listening for an "at times" noise or looking for an "at times" or "it doesn't feel right" issue of any other type. Nobody gets paid for doing that.

Diagnostic time is pushed back on by manufacturers. Most of the diag time we get is gobbled up by the time we spend writing out the reason FOR the diagnostic time. Much of it is denied on the submitted claims.

"Customer pay" time or non warranty time is what shops prefer. If you walk into a dealership with an AFTERMARKET extended warranty, you will get better way faster attention and service than you would with a factory extended one.

Dealers will typically get to the non warranty work BEFORE the warranty work. Some dealers will even pre-screen your vehicle at appointment time to assess if you are warranty or not, then IF you are, will push your appointment choices waaay out, influencing you to seek another dealer.

Why would anyone fall over themselves to get screwed? Most customers are not aware of this. It's a shame that it has to come to this, but it is what it is. People have to pay the bills and feed their families.

FCA is in hyper-ludicrous claim denial mode these days and dealers are very reluctant to do anything for a customer if they aren't damned near forced to do it.

Blame the manufacturers not the dealers. They need to make changes to the pay system or nothing is ever going to change. You can't convince the bean counters of this because they have a total disconnect of what it's like in the trenches and probably don't give a chit anyway. It's been this way for decades.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To be clear it's not the workers.

Originally Posted by TNtech
Ok, I'm just throwing this "hypothetical" out there and you can respond how you want. I am in no way directing this at anyone OR admitting to being complicit in this in any way (snicker) I hope I get all my thoughts across here...there are so many points to touch upon. This may help you decipher some of your experiences when taking your car in for service.

Warranty Labor and Customer Pay Labor are two different entities. Warranty time is often 50% or less of customer pay time. Technicians do not get paid if they're not working. Neither do shops.

Technicians get paid garbage labor time for warranty work in 80% of the cases. Warranty work INCLUDES Chrysler service contracts and pays as badly, but it's even worse when a 100K beat down, neglected car pays warranty time.

Diagnostic time does not include a customer spending hours of someone's time listening for an "at times" noise or looking for an "at times" or "it doesn't feel right" issue of any other type. Nobody gets paid for doing that.

Diagnostic time is pushed back on by manufacturers. Most of the diag time we get is gobbled up by the time we spend writing out the reason FOR the diagnostic time. Much of it is denied on the submitted claims.

"Customer pay" time or non warranty time is what shops prefer. If you walk into a dealership with an AFTERMARKET extended warranty, you will get better way faster attention and service than you would with a factory extended one.

Dealers will typically get to the non warranty work BEFORE the warranty work. Some dealers will even pre-screen your vehicle at appointment time to assess if you are warranty or not, then IF you are, will push your appointment choices waaay out, influencing you to seek another dealer.

Why would anyone fall over themselves to get screwed? Most customers are not aware of this. It's a shame that it has to come to this, but it is what it is. People have to pay the bills and feed their families.

FCA is in hyper-ludicrous claim denial mode these days and dealers are very reluctant to do anything for a customer if they aren't damned near forced to do it.

Blame the manufacturers not the dealers. They need to make changes to the pay system or nothing is ever going to change. You can't convince the bean counters of this because they have a total disconnect of what it's like in the trenches and probably don't give a chit anyway. It's been this way for decades.
My comments are directed at the manufactures, owners and management of these dealership. And not the mechanics and other personnel who actually do all the work.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1811
My comments are directed at the manufactures, owners and management of these dealership. And not the mechanics and other personnel who actually do all the work.

I just thought I would share the action<>reaction of it all. In this case, the trickle down works as one would predict, assuming they know human nature. Not taking a defensive position or anything like that.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 PM
GerryCDJR
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech

I'm a parts manager at a Chrysler dealership and this is mostly correct. Warranty does basically pay technicians about 50% of what they should be paid for certain jobs, and every manufacturer is like this, I worked for Nissan for 10 years and it was the same. Now we do treat all work the same but usually customer pay does get done quicker because the customer is out of a car and when it comes to warranty work, we provide customers with a car rental at no charge so it buy us some time, I'm not saying we're going to push the job to the side but we do have a little more wiggle room since customer has a rental in the mean time. DO take advantage of you warranty before it expires. I've had all my plastic moldings changed out, seat trimming and material changed out as well stating that they were fading and all this was covered by the basic warranty.