View Poll Results: What CAI do you have or recommend?
K & N
35.66%
Air Raid
11.21%
AEM
3.64%
Mopar
5.24%
Volant
8.59%
Afe
4.66%
True Flow
1.02%
S & B
2.18%
Ram Hammer
1.31%
home made
16.45%
ebay or other (specify in a post)
10.04%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM
SilsHemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbody
i agree i looks just like the ramhammer the only thing different is the ramhammer is one solid tube if i remember right
Both are two pieces.

Here's some pics of the BFI installed!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an Airaid on my '05 4.7L. From what I read before purchase, it was a lot easier to install than the K&N and it comes with a housing to keep hot engine compartment air from being drawn into the filter. Very easy to install, it sounds great and the filter lasts a long time.

I really do not know if I gained anything in performance, although I have to believe there was sometype of performance gain over the stock filter. But I'm happy with it and would buy another one if I needed to.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
70x7
Veteran

What are you 5.9 magnum people using?
For what you get out of it, I refuse to spend $300 for one.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
traker1001
Captain

Whats the point of the dual filter, Only so much air can be brought in.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
SuperCar1of1
Rookie

I was about to buy a CAI, then found out that the Amsoil synthetic filter made for the Dodge HO turbo deisel will fit my airbox and flows 300cfm more than a k&N + no oil to fool with.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Riccs22
Rookie

i have the green CAI on my 05 Ram i did notice a increase in power with the combonation on my magna flow the guy i bought it highly recomended it but i think the K and N woulda have been just as good and for a cheaper price my green cost me around 300

Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker

I have the AirRaid, never used anything else so cant comment on if i would buy something different, but i like what i have. It is loud and seemed to give my truck a little pep, maybe in my head. I havent done the mileage calculation, I bought a hemi didnt get it for gas mileage.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

K&N 77 Series for me. No doubt it flows more air, I also have the pre-filter or filter charger, too many dusty, dirty roads and trails in South Ga. Got the pre-filter just as a precaution and it only effects flow by about 2% over just the K&N filter...

Name:  CAI.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  44.5 KB

Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No pics of my current setup, but I voted for other here....

I've had 3 CAI's on my truck:

1st - Cheapo eBay intake

2nd - Ram Hammer Intake

3rd (and Current) - Homemade Intake

I did a lot of reading before I bought the first intake. Here's my conclusion:

All CAI's basically do the same thing. They unrestrict the flow of air to the throttle body, while drawing colder air in away from the engine.

However a CAI itself CAN NOT increase the vacuum inside the engine that draws the amount of air in, or it can't actually push air into the throttle body, that's where a Ram Air outfit comes in....

So with that said, all you want an intake to do is have a small amount of bends/turns while keeping the bends/turns smooth, and the opening of the CAI be located away from the engine, roughly behind the passenger headlight.

So after coming to the above conclusions for myself, I decided that an eBay CAI would be fine for my needs. I was not looking for better 1/4 mile times, just better throttle response, and maybe some extra fuel mileage. I hooked up my eBay CAI, and didn't really notice any difference other than the sound of the engine...

Then the Ram Hammer came out and I was seeing nothing but raves from the people that got them, and honestly I thought it looked good under the hood. The "wants" got the better of me and I bought it. Before installing it, I took my truck out to do some 1/8th mile times with my Edge programmer (Just to see if the Ram Hammer did anything). With the eBay cai I did 3 runs: 9.67, 9.82, & 9.74 seconds. (lol, took me a little while to find those old times). Anyway, installed the Ram Hammer, fired the truck up, and immediately noticed a deeper growl to my engine. Drove around for a little while and then went out to the same back road I had done my runs with my eBay cai. I was very disappointed to see my times still in the 9.7's.

Well, I ran the Ram Hammer on my truck for a little while (Maybe 2 weeks) and me and a buddy I work with were talking about it, and he offered to buy it from me. So I sold it to him, and it now resides on another Hemi, but this left me without an intake (as I had just tossed my eBay in the trash, still had the K&N filter though) I needed something quick and I remembered a post on another forum, and went back and did a search, and this picture made me decide to try a homemade intake:

Mine looks exactly like that, well without the paint and logos. lol, it's just the PVC pipe and filter right now. I'm going to put an Amsoil air filter on it, and paint mine black, and maybe throw a red ram head logo on it, BUT all this brings me to this point:

My PVC cai has probably the best sound IMO out of all 3. My 1/8th times are still in the 9.7's, and the supplies cost me $20 (already had a k&N cone to put on it). I now just wish I would've done this in the first place, but hey, you live and learn....

I know this post looks like a novel, but there's not too many people that actually have had experience with more than 1 type of CAI on their trucks, so I wanted to share. Had I put the Ram Hammer on my truck first, I would've probably been very content with it, and left it alone, but the fact that a cheapo eBay one was doing the same job IMO the Ram Hammer just wasn't worth keeping on the truck. As soon as I'm done painting my homemade cai, I'll post a picture of the completed project.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
hemipower05
Professional

how much will a ramhammer cai cost me? and where do i go if i want to order one?

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes