Spindle Lift DIY/Shackle Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spindle Lift DIY/Shackle Install

Okay well I promised that I would do a spindle lift DIY and the shackles also. 06-08 Ram 2wd but will be close to 02-05 as well. It took about a day, and if not for a few setbacks it would have taken even less time. I had an accident during it that postponed install and will get an alignment tomorrow. You will see from the last pic that an alignment is critical.

First is tools. You will need:

good set of METRIC sockets (large 1/2")
two to three jacks/jack stands
1/2" drive and breaker bar (huge help)
Prybar
I rented a coil spring compressor AND ball joint kit. You will see.
Torx bit OR vice grips
Bunjee cord

Air tools help!

Okay well here we go. Rear first:

Jack up truck right behind where the front of the springs sit as high as you can go. The higher the better (in a safe way, not with wooden blocks as I did it). Then jack up the axle to where the tire is off the ground.
Name:  55a69e3e.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  7d1d46b3.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  134.9 KB

I got greaseable shackles off ebay for $35 shipped. They are lowering shackles for a 2nd gen Ram but I wish I would have gotten 3" instead of 2". Anyway, once you get everything jacked up you can start removing the bolts for the rear spring. Loosen the top first and then undo the bottom. It takes a t55 I think, but vice grips will work. Im not sure of the socket size other than its metric. Go ahead and get the bolt out and the spring will pop UP. Make sure your hand is out of the way.

Name:  f6e70a6c.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  50.7 KB
Name:  c0e4e283.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  83.1 KB

Loosen the top bolt and pull the stock shackle out. Pay attention to what side sits up. Now comes the fun part of getting the new and LONGER one in. Pry down on the frame while someone else pulls the spring down and get the bolt in the lower side of the shackle. The spring side works better than frame side.

Name:  258112f8.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  238.4 KB
Name:  0c1e04c5.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  106.3 KB

Tighten her all up (but not too tight, will cause squeaking) and you are done. Super easy and took 30min max.

Next comes the spindle. This did not take too long other than the side that I took the coil out. That made everything about 2 hours longer! My cousin busted the boot out of the lower ball joint, which costs $65 and the Oriellys ball joint press did not do it. I took it to a shop to get pressed out. DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK!!! The tool on the top of that box pictured is the one that worked for me. The others wouldnt work.

Get your tools. I highly recommend renting (for free) the kits listed above.

Name:  03b96829.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  115.3 KB
Name:  b6deb874.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  119.1 KB

Jack your truck up. I used jack stands as well. Leave the opposite tire on so you can use that as a balance point. Loosen the lugs and take the tire off. Put another jack under the control arm. VERY IMPORTANT. Will discuss this at the end. Anyway, take your shock off.

Name:  bd209fb4.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  139.6 KB

Then take your brake caliper off with the two black bolts on the back. Make sure to hand this to prevent strain on your brake line. I switched the two sides last week. 06-08 will need to do this (just switch right to left) but earlier ones wont.

Name:  c42c6e79.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  106.8 KB
Name:  53d08846.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  112.8 KB

Now take your brake rotor off. Three bolts on the back of the spindle. Super easy to remove. Its super heavy so dont drop it. Im talking like 30lbs. The edge of the bearing was super dirty on mine. I cleaned it up with some steel wool.

Name:  e9d1aba9.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  110.0 KB
Name:  c53a4e63.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  116.7 KB
Name:  3dfc44cb.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  130.4 KB

Now comes the fun and dangerous part. Make sure there is a jack under the lower control arm and put some ratchet straps on the spring if you are more weary. Using the tool described and rented above, pop the tie rod arm off. Then get the upper ball joint. Its under immense pressure and could cause harm. Will discuss later. Anyway, get the upper, lower, and tie rod off and throw the old spindle to the side.

Name:  42510676.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  136.7 KB

The next part is easy. Bolt the new spindle right in. I compressed the spring with the tool pictured above. Then jacked up the very edge of the control arm. This allows you to raise the spindle to the Upper Ball Joint. You screw the nuts on to regain the taper rather than press it up all the way. Its pretty self explanatory so no pics in progress.

Name:  3f9486a3.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  138.6 KB

Now you have to get the rotor on. You might have to turn the wheel to access all three bolts. Two are close to the control arm and have to be at the right angle to have room to be pressed in. Dont forget to put the heat/dust shield with the gap where the caliper is. Use a C Clamp to press the pistons in and get the pad on the rotor and then tighten up the way you took it off. You are done.

And heres the pics. Havent gotten an alignment yet. You will see that I need one bad. Its super high and rides normal. Looks great IMO.

Name:  1f1f6afc.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  221.5 KB

Name:  62bef1ec.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  123.6 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-16-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Spindle Lift DIY/Shackle Install