3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

performance gains 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
witeboywitawitehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: performance gains 5.7 hemi

I have the catback with the fm 50 hd on it and ive loved the difference its made in mileage, power, and especially sound! It sounds perfect, and is still loud enough for a 18 year old. I highly recommend it. After that I would invest in gears, then a CAI. Superchips are definitely very popular on here as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Exchevy
Professional

I don't know how far you want to go but I installed the HHP BES stage 1 cam in my 06 as well as a superchip, magnaflow exhaust, airair CAI and6.1 hemi pushrods. the power gains were unbelievable to good infact, not long afterwards it was off the the shop for a tranny anda new rear diff, I believe it had a lot to do with the shift points being a little bit too firm but I could be wrong. I now have a bone stock 07 and if I were to do it again I would opt not to chip it and go with the cam or if I did chip and cam it I would beef up the tranny and the diff. Your looking at $450.00 for a superchip programer or $600.00 for a cam provided you have the ability and 11 spare hours to install the cam yourself as I did, actually it was a relitivly simple install.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In a nutshell
go with exhaust, SCT tuner, nitrous
because they have the best bang for buck
and completely skip
the CAI because it is mostly a noise maker with no real gain.

Traction is all important and mods to the rear suspension & tires
(rather than differential gear changes)
really ought to come first
because factory stock a Ram cannot 'launch' at max torque rpm
without tremendous wheel hop and 'peg-leg' difficulties
and these should be corrected before adding more torque to the engine
(learn about the model year 2009 changes to rear suspension and the new helical gear limited slip)

If you want to know
rather than being a WAG'er (wild a$$ guesser)
do before/after tests
of your acceleration with the stopwatch built into your cellphone
or take a movie of how your speedo needle moves during full throttle acceleration
then use this 'highway dyno'

http://www.bgsoflex.com/dyno.html

to accurately find hp at the rear wheels.

If you do want to find out for yourself about CAI's
then measure the IAT sensor temperature
and MAP sensor pressure
both before and after the mod
...but if you want to be a WAG'er just use your
Butt Dyno and listen to the new higher noise level.

Don't hesitate to order any CAI that suits your fancy with a credit card for protection,
test it,
and then send it back without feeling guilty
because the CAI makers make very high profits
off the WAG'ers and are in no danger of going out of business
...in fact new CAIs come onto the market and eBay in ever growing numbers
to join the easy money business.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
FixOrRepairDaily7638
Rookie

nice i had alot of the same questions about my night runner that i just bought.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 PM
joseyd2_dodge

i have a 2006 ram with hemi i put a 2.5'' leveling kits and it will beat your axels out of the front i found with 35's i built my intake 40 bucks for pvc pipe from home hardware and a filter and you can put it where you want, i have the magnaflow side exit it is load but it works AWSOME and chip dunno what to tell you for sure buddy of ine is running the best bullydog and it works really good but i have never seen the super chip in action
DONT BUY A SPACER!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
ram man17
Captain

Holy smokes. Alot of back and worth in here,
1. As said before, CAI is more of a noise maker and may give you a few ponies (not 10hp as claimed)Do not waste your money on an expensive $300 one if you are set on getting a intake. Build your own or buy a cheap ebay one.
2. Throttle body spacer, no gains proven...nuff said
3. The key to cat back exhaust is to have a muffler a good flow rate. Flowmasters are poor in this, as said a million times flowmaster is not a wise choice for perfomance but may give you the sound you like.
4. Programmer is great and is not only used if towing..? Superchips 3865 is a great choice with the complete transmission control and also gives you a little more umph in the truck
5. Gears will be best bang for your buck no doubt. 4.56's if you plan on stuffing 35s.
6. If you buy a leveling kit for $300 you just got anally raped...60-100 bucks. Mine was 80, saw even cheaper ones.
7. 35s will not help your perfomance in anyway either.
8. Free mods are the Power wire and tranny pressure line mod.
Use the search function for now on, you will get hundreds of threads just like this and will answer most of your questions you have.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

if you have stock rims then you may not be able to fit 35s with just a level...The backspacing/offset on them is bad if I remember correctly...I know there was a guy on here who got 35s on stock rims and he had to get spacers as well as a level kit. Like the guy above me said, $300 for a level kit is ridiculous. I spent $100 on mine and it came with shock relocation brackets. $300 sounds more like a body lift lol.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
glass3222
Captain

wow....talk about back from the dead....before today the thread was from January 2008

Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 AM
scottsk9s
Default get the best

Hey go to shop hemi .com the guys are great i just took my 07 ram to thim i had a s&b cold air intake edge programer that is alot better than supperchip for the newer rams i had a supperchip on my 99 5.9 360 bord and stroked to a 383 stroker it was bad *** but edge is better now befor i took my truck to VA to get the guys at shop hemi to make it bad i had the edge evilution loved it tbs airaid s&b cold air viper hood flowmaster 40 was very happy till my smart *** bruther got a vet so i got a set of heads a cam a 90 mm tb procharger supercharger and the headers that come off the 6.1 hemi srt they told me thouse headers breath better than any thing out there and i got a deoblo prediter becouse you can updat it for new things like cams it is bad but im selling my edge for $150 works great just want work with my new setup but for a mostly stook truck u know cold air intake headers and pipes its great e-mail me if you want it scottsk9s@yahoo.com i have 610 rwh and it cost my $7200 i love it and my mpg's are 22 - 26 look at i fitch fuel catilist u can run reg gas ant still have your comp on hi horse runs just like 98 octain so check it out i realy works hey the guys at shop hemi told me thr deoblo is better that the edge so if you are looking to realy make some power get one there about $289 thanks scott

Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, you guys totally brought this one back from the dead. Scottsk9s, Im sure you WAY over paid from that gear from that site. S&B and K&N intakes are really nice but way over priced. I could have built you a custom one-off plastic intake with a S&B filter on it for around 150-ish.

The Edge doesnt have all the functions the SC does and especially not the trans controls which are what everyone seems to love a lot.

Diablo is the way to go ION though.

And do me a favor, please (for the ease of being able to read and understand) use punctuation.

Quick Reply: performance gains 5.7 hemi