3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qsitehemi

Unloaded the Hemi goes goes and keeps going,
I think that all has to do with the HEMI part. It's not just called a HEMI because it sells engines, there is a reason for it. the head on this engine is fantastic.

I don't often post articles, but read this one by popular hot rodding, then go brag to your friends. I honestly believe that the hemi is the best gas truck motor available right now. your old v10 should have been doing better than it was, you likely had a mess of problems with it and the truck.

but you got yourself a great motor now, with a better trans, better gearing, better axle, one less drive axle, better air flow through the motor, less weight...this just keeps going.

my favorite part of the article:
"The stock port with its 2-inch valve flowed a whopping 270 cfm at only .600-inch lift. It hit the peak flow figures, which are produced at .700-inch lift on a stock LS6, at only about 375 thousandths lift. This is good news but there is a lot more. Peak figures are not the whole story. Good mid-range figures are also important. The new Hemi did extremely well here. At 250 thousandths lift, the stock head was nearer a $10,000 Winston (Nextel) Cup head than it was to even a good modified parallel-valve head."

Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 AM
qsitehemi

I actually had cut the cats off the V10, I had gone through 3 sets before the warranty was over with and after i said the hell with them! I think it was just a hard living truck, the guy who owned it before me used it to tow big gooseneck horse trailers day in day out and after that many miles any gas engine would be complaining... I loved the truck, it was a good looking machine for sure but it was just costing too much money to keep it on the road, transmission woes, the front end was needing near to 1,000 dollars in repairs, and then the PCM shorted out and popped, so i towed it up to the Dodge dealer near here, and tried out my current truck...

Before that day I had never driven a truck with a HEMI, but I was VERY impressed, the dealer let me drive it around town all day, and the mileage and performance were awesome, I traded the 10 for it and the day after i took it home I hooked it to the trailer and took it for a drive and....wow, what an excellent engine. Wish i had the cash, I'd go for an 09, i hear that has an even more powerful Hemi...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

yeah not ownly more powerful at 390 hp and 407 lb·ft but now but (For 2008, the Hemi was revised to improve engine breathing and gas mileage, with the addition of variable cam timing; a higher compression ratio; higher-flowing heads, intake, and exhaust; and an active intake manifold that switches from long runners to short runners, to optimize the engine for either better high-end horsepower or better low-end torque.
In addition, the MDS system has been updated so the engine will spend more time in four-cylinder mode, saving fuel. Numerous other hardware upgrades were implemented to build on the quality, reliability and durability reputation of the HEMI engine, including crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design, and oil pump capacity increase.) source :allpar.com http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodg...owertrain.html
a great site for mopar fans has everything and anything i say its the best out there they had challenger pictures before anyone else plus this guy named oh20 had info on the 09 ram that was right on its awesome oh and pickuptruck.com found out on the cummins its a 5.0L V8 with 300 hp and 500 lb-ft with just a chip,exhaust,and intake will have more power then the hemi and fuel economy
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...-0-liters.html
Under the Ram's hood is a sticker (pictured above) summarizing the proper amount of R-134a air conditioning refrigerant that should be maintained in the truck, by engine type. But it's the second line that caught our attention. Line two lists the current 6.7-liter six-cylinder Cummins diesel (2500 and 3500 models) and an unknown 5.0-liter diesel engine. Is this the expected Cummins-built light-duty diesel? Chrysler's PR team and engineers aren't saying officially but some are flashing grins/grimaces of surprise when asked

Last edited by Grey-Ghost; 10-26-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

^^^Good info on the 5.0 diesel

Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I like that. 500 fpt in a 1/2 ton. That's awesome.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:37 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love the genius who designed the refrigerant sticker. If all engines require the same charge, why not list "ALL ENGINES: 1.0 LB 10.0 OZ"? There's no reason to list each displacement when they're all identical anyway.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

question... Did the V/10 have the same bore, stroke and psiton's as the 5.9 gas engine?

My basic thoughts are that V/10 was only a 360 + 2 cylinders..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no, the stroke on the V10 is longer at 3.88
as are the intake manifold runners at 25 inches

compression ratio is lower 8.4

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/8_0v10.htm

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

I pull a sailboat with my 2500 V10 with 5th wheel. The boat weighs about 20,000 pounds. I can go as fast as i want easily, but I don't go over 55 because stopping is difficult even with trailer brakes on that monster. Lets see your hemi pull 20,000 outside of a parking lot.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

That must be a big boat at 20,000lbs..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?