3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In vehicles equipped the same way with same chassis, cab configuration, gears, trans etc, the V10 will flat smoke a Hemi in acceleration "with traction". Now if you want to raise the compression of the v10 to the hemi's level, put in a similar spec'd camshaft and uncork the intake and exhaust to hemi standards, the beating would be even greater. You just can't get around the cubic inch advantage with the v10, even as severely handicapped from the factory as they were. You put the Mp cam, headers, exhaust and pcm on the V10 and you have a smog legal 390 hp, thats with the cam installed in the smog legal 112 degrees, degree the cam at 116 where it should be and you pick up another 25 hp. This is where the motor should have been from the factory, even with the pathetic 8.4-1 compression ratio. I was told by several Dodge engineers, the motor was kept mild because they didn't have a trans at the time that could live behind it when spec'd like the 5.2/5.9 motors.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default alright I am going to call your bluff...

I sail, as well (why I bought my truck), gonna upgrade to a capri 22 in the spring (only 4800lbs tops)... 20k lbs for a trailerable sailboat, it'd have to be a nimble, or a nonsuch, otherwise I'd have to see proof (more so I can drool over your boat you lucky bstrd)...

Pretty freaking impressive feat though! But I detect some fish tale in that.

But to answer the Hemi versus v10... looks like what these guys are saying, is it is more gearing... 4.56s, and 17 wheels, it'd be no problem towing that much (although you'd still be WAYYYYY over speced, making that pretty dumb thing to do - but hey I have done worse). SHNOOL <--- is pretty upset he has the 3.73 gears in his HEMI.. Want some highway manners, so might go 4.10s.. .but the consensus from the 1500 guys is the 4.56s are a better choice, EVEN if you stick with the stocker 17 inch wheels (search for gas mileage and 4.56, you'll see the argument that dragged on for pages).

Long and the short of it was, get the 4.56s if you are ever gonna increase the size of your tires/wheels... it won't hurt mileage (enough to matter), and you gain a tremendous mechanical advantage on the stops, and hills for towing large amounts.

Truly though, if you are towing much more than say 11k lbs... you should have a 3500, duallies, and the cummins. You want to have that margin of error. Launching the boat from a ramp, you'd want the 4x4, or at least a detroit locker, and as much torque as you can get. Gives you a reason to buy the $$$ truck though!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey-Ghost
yeah not ownly more powerful at 390 hp and 407 lb·ft but now but (For 2008, the Hemi was revised to improve engine breathing and gas mileage, with the addition of variable cam timing; a higher compression ratio; higher-flowing heads, intake, and exhaust; and an active intake manifold that switches from long runners to short runners, to optimize the engine for either better high-end horsepower or better low-end torque.
In addition, the MDS system has been updated so the engine will spend more time in four-cylinder mode, saving fuel. Numerous other hardware upgrades were implemented to build on the quality, reliability and durability reputation of the HEMI engine, including crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design, and oil pump capacity increase.) source :allpar.com http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodg...owertrain.html
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...-0-liters.html
Under the Ram's hood is a sticker (pictured above) summarizing the proper amount of R-134a air conditioning refrigerant that should be maintained in the truck, by engine type. But it's the second line that caught our attention. Line two lists the current 6.7-liter six-cylinder Cummins diesel (2500 and 3500 models) and an unknown 5.0-liter diesel engine. Is this the expected Cummins-built light-duty diesel? Chrysler's PR team and engineers aren't saying officially but some are flashing grins/grimaces of surprise when asked
Nice infor but it is for the 09, not 08. I wish my 08 has the extra 45hp!!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
qsitehemi

Originally Posted by Gotta feed them horses
I pull a sailboat with my 2500 V10 with 5th wheel. The boat weighs about 20,000 pounds. I can go as fast as i want easily, but I don't go over 55 because stopping is difficult even with trailer brakes on that monster. Lets see your hemi pull 20,000 outside of a parking lot.

20,000 pounds? Correct me if I'm wrong...but isnt that waaaaay over the legal weight limit of a 2500? I'm not saying it couldnt be done, but never safely as far as I'm concerned. I'm not real big on tempting fate, I keep my weights under what the truck is rated for. If I were pulling that kind of weight I would probably go with a 3500, maybe a 4500 with a cummins, I'm not certain even the 3500 is rated for 20,000.

Anyway, I'm sure that there's no way my 1500 Hemi would pull a 20,000 pound load, even if I were willing to try it, which I am not. My 21' travel trailer weighs 5000 pounds and it pulls it without any trouble, and I'm happy with it. Maybe there was something wrong with my V10 but it worked alot harder. If I upgrade to a bigger trailer (which will be several years) then like I say, I'll upgrade the size of truck I'm using accordingly.

I'd like to see that boat though....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional
Default 20,000 sailboat V10

Wow a lot of ppl are amazed by my pulling a big boat. I'll explain then. I have a 5th wheel hitch on my truck. We have a 2 masted iron hulled sailboat down in Florida that we had lifted out of the water onto a trailer. I have moved it from pensecola to carabelle twice .. not on the interstate.
It's not like I'm pulling this thing out of the water on a ramp... they have a big crane that they used to lift it out of the water. That thing is not that hard to get going.. but when it comes time to stop it pushes even with its own set of brakes.. not fun.. But the point is that truck will pull more than a hemi ... a hemi couldn't do it.. not enough torque and obviously the frame of a 1500 isn't stable enough.. and by the way I beleive my 5th wheel hitch is rated for 20,000 lbs.. I'll have to check on the sticker on the hitch... and my normal hitch says 14,000... is that abnormal???

Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
question... Did the V/10 have the same bore, stroke and psiton's as the 5.9 gas engine?

My basic thoughts are that V/10 was only a 360 + 2 cylinders..
That WAS how they originally came up with the idea. Dodge didn't have a big block to compete with the 454 and 460 (big block tooling had been scrapped by 1980). So Bob Lutz said, hey how 'bout we add 2 extra cylinders? The original design mule was a 360 block with two extra cylinders brazed or cast into it, I don't remember. It did run smoother than odd fire V6 on its first run. They originally envisioned it as a low power torque engine that would be more efficient than the big blocks because all it was basically a really long small block. They got it figured out for what they wanted in cast iron, then had Lamborghini (Chrysler owned them at the time) figure out how to cast it and make it work in aluminum. Presto, instant 400hp Viper engine (circa 1992). The V10 mutated over the years, I imagine a pair of cast iron jobs would make awesome boat engines for like a cabin cruiser. Dodge really needs to figure out an engine (besides the CTD) to field that will compete with the 8 liter chevy. A hemi derivative at that displacement would be....wow.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 10-28-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
qsitehemi

Or a V10 Hemi!!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have an engineering library anywhere close to you this paper on the 8L V10 design features can be read for free:

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...PROD_CD=933033

Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

If the V10 was still an option when I bought my truck that is what I would have picked. My in-laws have a 1999 2500 Quad Cab with the V10. That thing barely breaks a sweat cruising up the mountain, in third gear and overdrive I am sure, where we live. Where my V8 struggles to maintain third gear and sometimes has to downshift to second.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only time the hemi (mine anyway) ever struggled was going through the TN mountains with 6000lbs hooked behind it.

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi V8 > 8.0L Magnum V10?