3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Port and polishing a 4.7l throttle body

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port and polishing a 4.7l throttle body

I have a 2006 Ram with the 4.7L.. Im wanting to port and polish my throttle body. Will this show any difference in performance or throttle responce on this engine? My friend has an 06 chevy with the 4.8L v8 and he ported and polished his tb and he said he could tell a big difference afterwards. I know one thing, he has a poweraid tb spacer and you can hear it whistling pretty loud when he leaves out down the road, so it has to be getting alot more air. i have one installed behind my tb too and the whistle is not near as loud. we both have k&n CAIs.. If you've done this before on your 4.7L let me know how it turned out and if you have pics post them so i can check em out.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
bighornram08
Professional

What do you mean by port and polish. Is that the same as cleaning the throttle body.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bighornram08
What do you mean by port and polish. Is that the same as cleaning the throttle body.
No

And yes a lot of guys say great things about doing this

there is a guy that runs a business doing it

thefastman.com

Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Are oyu going to do this yourself, I would like to know more if you do. I about the concept, I dont think Ive ever heard of anybody doing it though.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

You will definately notice a difference. This is an excellent mod for both the 4.7 and the hemi.

For those not feeling up to the task, contact Dan Arcand at thefastman.com He does great work at very reasonable prices.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Froggy, how would you go about doing this? What does are necessary for completing this task?

Im becoming intrigued... i want to know more. a little sand paper? lol

Old 04-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Matt99
Champion

Ok they are $180 plus $80 core and $10 shipping.

I understand that when he sends you the TB that it is ported which would clean out any gunk left, but I really would just rather have my own done. I'm sure this is a question for him though.

I wonder if it is that great of a mod? I do get that more air=more combustion and if your CAI is restricted by a small TB then it is useless, but does anyone have an REAL results? $180 is pretty cheap for the possible gains

Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
tafet
Professional

Here is the link to the fastman. http://www.thefastman.com/ Select your engine size. There is a lot of info on there of what he does. The short of it is that he cleans them out, bores out the centers to a true 68MM or what you want. He then puts in new butterflys to fit the new bores. In the big picture $190 (that has shipping included) is a hell of a deal for a TB.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
Froggy, how would you go about doing this? What does are necessary for completing this task?

Im becoming intrigued... i want to know more. a little sand paper? lol
It's a little more complicated than just getting some sand paper to do it right. I had mine done by Dan Arcand. He opens up the frontside bore to 85 mm and tapers it down to the butterfly. He knife edges the throttle blade and converts the shaft into a half shaft. You could probably sand up the bore easy enough, but converting the shaft is pretty much imposible as a DIY. Even knife edging the blade can be tricky.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Into a 'half shaft'? What does this do? Does this mean that when at WOT, the butterfly is smooth with no hump?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Port and polishing a 4.7l throttle body